Author Topic: Can I use shredded A4 paper ??  (Read 2353 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Can I use shredded A4 paper ??
« on: January 17, 2008, 20:46:22 »
Previously, I have used sawdust & straw for my hen house bedding. At the moment the livestock are going through it like wildfire.My work throws away loads of bags of shredded A4 paper. Would this be fine for using in the chicken cree as bedding in the nest boxes and on the floor. After which I would put it in the compost bin.

I know you can use shredded newspaper but not so sure on the A4 as it may be too thick or not suited to being composted. Comments please
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

VP

• Quarter Acre
  • Get me out of here!
    • Vegplotting
Re: Can I use shredded A4 paper ??
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 20:55:22 »
I've put shredded A4 in my compost and it's worked OK. You just need to balance it with some 'green' waste like you would with newspaper. I've found an equal amount of grass clippings mixed with the shreddings does the trick
Best wishes,

VP
---------------------------------------------
http://vegplotting.blogspot.com

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 21:30:23 »
You just need to balance it with some 'green' waste like you would with newspaper.

Oh dear. My hens get to eat just about all the spare greenwaste I have. They love it.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

VP

• Quarter Acre
  • Get me out of here!
    • Vegplotting
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 22:31:04 »
How about putting the chicken manure with the shredded paper, or have you earmarked that for the garden? Or you could use it as a mulch instead perhaps? I use my neighbours rabbit and guinea pig bedding as a mulch round my fruit trees and soft fruit. It's great at keeping the weeds at bay all thro' the summer
Best wishes,

VP
---------------------------------------------
http://vegplotting.blogspot.com

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 22:32:01 »
We shred all our junk mail (glossy stuff) cardboard packets (pg tips, cornflakes packs etc) bank statements, letters, birthday/xmas cards etc etc etc and it all gets shoved into the compost bin and rots down fine.  ;D
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 00:13:02 »
We shred all bills, A4 paper and glossy and it goes into the hen house and nest boxes ( especialy with young pullets who trash the nest boxes) no problem here some stick to the eggs but it all gets mixed up with shavings and straw and newspaper plus poo rots down no problem at home and lottie.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 12:18:52 »
Same here Teresa, I use shredded paper and straw though tend not to put the paper in the nest boxes as it sticks to the eggs.  When I clean them out the whole lot goes on my compost heap and rots down.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal