Author Topic: Have you ever cooked manure on a Barbeque?  (Read 1246 times)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Have you ever cooked manure on a Barbeque?
« on: January 25, 2008, 12:16:25 »
I'm prepared to be laughed at 8)  but we have a friend with horses and lots of manure to share. Our ground is poor and I'm trying to improve the soil, don't want to wait a couple years for it to deteriorate on its own but am afraid of introducing lots of weed seed  if it is fresh and was thinking of heating some up on the BBQ to kill the bad guys...Hubby rolls his eyes at the  very thought.  Any thoughts?
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Have you ever cooked manure on a Barbeque?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 12:33:24 »
dig pits, cover with soil, plant courgettes, cucumbers and squash on them, they like the extra warm and feed..no doubt others have more uses , don't fancy cooking it, the smell  :o :o ;D

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 12:38:52 »
Well in Africa dried cowpats are often used for cooking fires ...  ;D ;)

Pits or trenches ... also for beans,  peas and even spuds !!
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 15:40:42 »
Hi Grannie Annie!

Wouldn't put them on the barbie!
You come from somewhere hot don't you?  I would take a tip from the aboriginees where they cook "hungees" or something similar.  What they do is dig a pit get some timber/charcoal really hot then they put a pig or some meat or other (I amsuggesting that you put your manure in!) and cover with said manure!!

But probably easier to dig it in and pick/hoe the odd weeds when they are small and dare to show their faces!!

Old Bird

;D

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 19:44:29 »
Unless you want some exotic hors d'oeuvres, I'd bury the stuff, either under 6" of soil or plastic.

I think the hors d'oeuvres will need to be well done, just crispy on the outside, and served with a light seasoning and plenty of garlic.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 20:28:29 »
Sorry if I'm a bit dim but why don't you just get it and use it. You're trying to make a really big job out of a quick and easy task.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 21:57:27 »
I was once on a field trip on a bleak hillside in Wales with some of my classmates, and when we got bored we built a fire using dried sheep poo. It burnt quite well.

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 11:10:53 »
Bit of a green footprint I think using the barbeque, the cost of charcoal would be more than buying ready to use compost.
Be patient, you have to, to be to be a gardener, or try the other persons suggestion of marrows or suchlike on top of the heap. When we  visited Great Dixter they had a huge heap, and I mean tractor loads, rotting down and covered in if I remember right melons. If it was good enough for Christopher Lloyd then I am sure it will do for you 8)
Ivor

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 01:40:21 »
Lots of chuckles from your answers- looks like it is the pit for the manure, overplanted with squash and beans.
I'm still wondering though about the weed seeds because I've read that seeds can be underground for long periods without rotting or growing but when dug and exposed to light they can spring to life...

Thank you for your input.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 09:35:01 »
Depends on the weed. Docks can last a century; Himalayan balsam a year or so.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal