Author Topic: asparagus - can I start this year or should I wait?  (Read 841 times)

anthea

• Not So New ...
asparagus - can I start this year or should I wait?
« on: February 11, 2008, 10:09:04 »
I've been searching  this site to help me decide if it's realistic to order asparagus crowns for this year. I'm still not sure, so any advice would be very welcome please.

Yesterday I used timber to mark out a semi-raised bed (semi because it's only about 6" high). It's in an area that last year was covered with couch grass and dock weeds, but I dug lots and tried to get rid of all that, and in November I piled very rotted horse manure on top and covered it with black fabric. When I lifted the fabric yesterday there were 3 or 4 tiny little grass seedlings trying to grow, but otherwise it looked good, though quite moist still. The soil is quite heavy, so, from what I've read, I should mix some sand into it?

One dumb question: is this any sort of sand? Would sand from a builder's merchant do, or where do you get your sand? And in what sort of quantities?

And, do you think, if I dig in some sand now, with the manure that's already there, would I be ready to order some crowns for this year, or is there a huge benefit from waiting longer (I'm itching to get it growing, but am willing to wait if there's a good reason).

I'd love to hear from any of you with aparagus experience.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: asparagus - can I start this year or should I wait?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 10:26:25 »
I would be a bit worried about the couch. You need to be VERY sure that the run is clean.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/terms/go/805/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_growingasparagus1.shtml

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 16:50:04 »
Ditto.

Asparagus is going to be there for the next 25 to 30 years. And you can't do more than surface-weed, or you'll damage the roots.

I put in two beds a few years back. The plot had been neglected when I took it on ("How unusual", I hear everyone say!) so I grew potatoes & stuff on the area first. Then I double-dug both beds. Properly. Ie. you remove the top spit from the entire bed & dump it nearby. Then you trench-dig the next spit, incorporating manure. I then covered that with a 6-inch layer of horse manure before filling up with the previously-removed top spit.

It may sound like over-kill (and it nearly over-killed me!) but I have never had any serious weed problems and get a good crop of asparagus.

I'm plucking up courage to put in another bed (or two)....

anthea

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 21:22:42 »
Thanks for this advice, I do hear what you say, and I know my impatience isn't a good gardening attitude., but... having a day off work today I went and had a dig around in the new raised bed and it really is looking good now it's drying out. All nice and loose and innocent looking, so I wonder, if the couch is going to come back, might it show itself soon do you think? I wonder if I could give it - say - 4 weeks, and if there's not much sign of anything nasty by then, do you reckon I could assume it's safe? or do you think that's just hoping for a miracle.

[And, whenever it is safe to go ahead, this year or next, I'd love to hear from anyone what sort of sand to get if you know please, and roughly in what proportions - my bed is 4' by 12' and I'd have no idea how much sand to put in.]

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 21:29:41 »
Sharp sand. NOT builder's sand.

And yes, I think you're hoping for a miracle.... (Couch is a PAIN and can stay around for years, not weeks, unless you dig it out properly.)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal