Author Topic: Kiwi tree question  (Read 786 times)

gunnerbee

• Hectare
Kiwi tree question
« on: February 19, 2008, 20:08:12 »
i was thinking about getting my mum one for mothers day, but, i dont want one which she will have to wait years for it to bear fruit, has anyone else got any info on where to buy from, what variety etc etc, many thanks.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Kiwi tree question
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 21:25:58 »
They don't take long to fruit... but most need a male and a female plant... ther is one self fertile one but I can't remember its name...
Unless you are deep south or have a good south facing wall you'll be lucky to geta crop..
 ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 00:00:08 »
Jenny is  self fertile but it still doesn't do as well as a pair.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 00:02:03 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Jon Munday

• Quarter Acre
    • Fruit Nursery
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 08:17:20 »
We have the self fertile variety Jenny @ http://www.blackmoor.co.uk/index.php?cPath=324
Regards
Jon

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 22:43:48 »
We've got an allegedly self-fertile one that has been in the garden for about 3 years now.  Lots of leaves and kind of pretty pinkish furry curly stems but no sign of any fruit or even a flower yet.   :'(
I think we got it from Bakkers but I can't be sure. :-\
I was quite optimistic as we are deep down south and someone else at work gets buckets of them from her 3 plants.
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal