Author Topic: Flooding question  (Read 938 times)

chilli queen

• Not So New ...
Flooding question
« on: March 01, 2008, 23:18:39 »
Hi,
I have taken on my first allotment today (thankyou Alowster for pointing me in the right direction) I have been told that it is prone to flooding and although there are plans to put in drainage on the site this is not guaranteed.  Is there anything I can do to help this.  I was wondering about raised beds. 
Also can anyone advise a book or site that gives suggestions about how best to plan the layout of an allotment.  Thanks.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Flooding question
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 00:27:13 »
If it is waterlogging rather than full blown flooding then raised beds would certainly help a lot... if the site is going under by more than two foot then they would probably get washed away!
 :-\

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 00:41:33 »
In the floods we had in Hull last year, we had 2 1/2 feet of water, but it went down to about 6 inches in about 2 days. We lost everything in the open ground but the foot high raised beds came through OK. One did float away and took it's soil with it though.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 09:08:00 »
Find out what's meant by 'flooding'. I get occasional flash bloods, and the important things are a good flood bank, and ensuring that the water runs off again when it does come over. Raised beds would be unnecessary labour.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 10:43:34 »
On a previous plot I had which was on a slope and  was subject to flooding I dug a trench around the perimeter and fitted bits of 4" pipe in it.

The pipes were butt jointed so any water that flowed went into the joint and was carried away (at least the majority of it did)

But if it does flood keep off it until it dries out or you will do more damage than the water did i.e. you will compact it and alter the structure of the soil.

Having said  that, I grew some good stuff on that plot so don't be put off, the flooding doesn't remain forever, and good luck with your new plot.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 18:38:30 »
If I walk on my beds when they're flooded I sink in, it's like quicksand! The main thing is to plan for whatever's likely to happen, and try to ensue that water doesn't stay on your beds. The sort of really bad flooding we get occasionally just has to be endured, if you're on the flood plain of a major river.

chilli queen

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 20:01:29 »
Thank you all for the great advice.  Think I will forget raised beds and look at how to reduce the risk as suggested.  Tee Gee - glad to hear you say I shouldn't be put off - I was a bit worried.  Thanks again - off now to look at other threads for ideas about how best to layout the plot.  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal