Author Topic: any boiler experts out there  (Read 980 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
any boiler experts out there
« on: March 09, 2008, 19:25:02 »
our neighbour's central heating appears to backfire, a few times during the day, quite a loud bang, anyone know if it's dangerous?..she's a pensioner, living on her own, don't want to cause her problems  :)

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
Re: any boiler experts out there
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 19:32:10 »
 :o doesn't sound good does it!! Can't pensioners get financial help from Age concern or some similar group for this sort of thing ?
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 20:19:30 »
I've been having a trawl through the Plumbing and Central Heating part of the forum from http://www.diynot.com.  From a few threads in there it sounds like it might be what they call "explosive ignition".  Here's a quote from one thread - "If the bang is from the boiler, and occurs as the main burner ignites (explosive ignition), then the usual cause is the pilot light assembly - it is partially blocked (resulting in a pilot flame that is too small) or it is badly positioned (relative to the main burner)."

Sounds like the boiler could use a service?
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 20:22:55 »
it was only replaced last year..we could smell lots of gas outside our house (her wall is further forward than ours)..we called the gas people, they condemned her boiler and she had to have a new one fitted..I know she has a small occupational pension so can't claim benefits ..soooo what to do ?

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 20:25:58 »
Hopefully she'll still have a warranty/guarantee on it if it was only replaced a few months ago?  From what I've read it's not dangerous, so that's one plus, but it will need sorting I would think.
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

wiltshire lass

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 22:24:32 »
it is still really calm here . ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal