Author Topic: Nematodes  (Read 1400 times)

miniroots

• Half Acre
  • Beautiful bolting
    • Random allotment pictures
Nematodes
« on: March 09, 2008, 10:43:03 »
I am trying nematodes for the first time this year -
Has anyone tried them? What kind of experiences have people had with them??

When do you think is the best time to apply the first lot?

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Re: Nematodes
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 11:27:29 »
Haven't used it but I know there is a minimum soil temperature for them to be effective. Nemaslug say 5degC but other studies reckon 8degC is much more effective.

If you haven't got one I suggest investing in a soil thermometer.

Pumper

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 11:53:55 »
I tried nematodes with ants a few years ago. Our garden was absolutely infested with them. We couldn' use the lawn or releax in it without getting smothered in them.

It took two treatments per year for two years to make a difference. But it did (and hopefully continues to) work.... Haven't seen a major ants nests for a couple of years now.

We were also infested with crane files (daddy long-legs), but since we started encouraging birds into our garden - especially starlings - those, too, have decreased dramatically because they eat the leather jackets.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 14:55:07 »
If the cheap coffe drench that was mentioned a few days ago is effective as claimed it would be a lot cheaper..
I've used Nemaslug for several years and on the beds regularly treated it has had a cumulative effect...
too expensive to use all over the lotties though!
 :-\

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 15:07:43 »
we've used it on potato beds, it worked but it is expensive, we've gone for (what we've found to be ) slug resistant varieties and earlies  :)

miniroots

• Half Acre
  • Beautiful bolting
    • Random allotment pictures
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 07:44:46 »
Interesting - I think I'll get a thermometre.

I don't expect it to kill every slug - just to knock back the population to a more reasonable level - it was ridiculous last year - at a level where no other controls were making any difference... we shall see...

flytrapman

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 12:19:45 »
We use them in the college glasshouses. What pests are you after controlling, remember you have to allow the pest to build up as the nematodes need something to feed on. It is worth noting that nemaslug only controls slugs and has no effect on snails

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 00:35:10 »
Hmm, I didn't know that. You would think as they are both slimy and similar in body (under the shell), the nematodes would have gone for both.

Nature is very strange and confusing :-\
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

hoonteo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 21:53:35 »
Funny , I've just been reading about slug control. I reckon no one control is best i.e. you have to have a whole variety if you're going to keep it green. That is, beer traps, copper wire for raised beds, mulching with sharp things ( shells ) as well as nematodes. I've also mulched absolutely every square inch of my garden and now it seemd that the slug problem is under control.

foresterone

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 17:03:24 »
I suffered with vine weevil in pots ( Fuschias, geraniums etc) I used the nematode method in the autumn and almost eradicated them , not cheap but  effective ::)

Twirlie

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 14:55:30 »
Question!  Don't shout!  My Dad used slug pellets on the plot when we were little, I have noticed someone else on our plots is still using them.  I haven't used anything YET!  My first year!  Are the pretty blue pellets a big NO NO these days???? Or do a lot of people with plots still use them?  Have looked at the price of nemotodes and my pockets complained and said not this year matey! ???

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 19:06:42 »
You can get organic pellets Twirlie, They are about a fiver against a couple of quid. Apparently they are harmless to birds frogs and other wildlife. eg children and pets.

Or slug stoppa which is lime, that can be incorporated into the soil as well afterwards. Thats cheaper but you use a lot more of it
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Whatever next?

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 23:06:30 »
Ah! The ignorance of youth (aged 53)

- what are nematodes?
Happiness is leaf shaped

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 23:09:29 »
Microscopic worm like things... they get into the slug's keel breed and put it off its dinner...
 ;D

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2008, 19:33:12 »
Re why nematodes get slugs but not snails: I believe this is because the nematodes live in the soil, and slugs burrow underground but snails just crawl along on top.

I applied nematodes last year and found they were pretty effective. I also used organic slug pellets around the lettuces, and beer traps. In the past I have also tried copper tape around pots (very effective) and crumbled egg shells/ sand/ ashes (not very effective, but maybe I didn't put enough on).

The best thing for snails (or worst thing if you are a snail) that I have found so far is hand picking and plunging them into a bucket of salty water, or stamping on them if you don't mind making a mess. If I was Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall I would feed them on oatmeal for a week or two and then eat them with garlic butter....but I'm not... :o

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal