Author Topic: Green poly tunnels  (Read 5204 times)

mrf94

• Half Acre
Green poly tunnels
« on: April 11, 2008, 14:03:33 »
I noticed that SMP1704s poly tunnels was green  and was wondering about light levels inside it, Now i assume they wouldnt sell if they didnt work, and i like the idea of the interwoven mesh, Having said all that does anyone have experiance of these tunnels and is it good or bad.

mrf94

Lacelotte

• Half Acre
  • Livin', lovin', lovin' livin' it's all good!
    • Britons Against The 'Church' of $cientology
Re: Green poly tunnels
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 14:26:29 »
Polytheneone.com explain what it does pretty well.
It apparently simulates the light spectrum of a forrest floor?
Have a read,
http://www.polytheneone.com/polytunnel_polythene_super_green_720.htm

Shane

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 17:43:11 »
Well Mrf94 - vandals aside, the tunnel was doing well.  At that point I only had a row of early carrots, which had germinated well and were about an inch high.  Also a row of last years strawberry runners which were doing well.

I was worried about light levels but once inside there is barely any difference.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 19:28:56 »
It might simulate the light conditions on a forest floor, but only because plants don't absord green light, so it passes through the leaves. This is why leaves are green, incidentally; they absorb the other frequencies, which are used for photosynthesis, while green is transmitted or reflected. What's the use of filtering out the frequencies the plants do use?

mrf94

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 20:17:20 »
Thankyou  SMP1704  ive found the website i think yours may have come from  (If it isnt  then they have to be brothers or sisters ) the price is right
and im ordering on monday.

Our problems seem to come more from stone throwing rather than actual destruction ( were well fenced in ) , So im going to use an interferance fence on two sides of mine, and site it so the suns on the other sides.

Can use the fence to grow things up. thanks again for answering

mrf94

mrf94

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 20:20:44 »
And thanks Lacelottie the site was worth reading, as they say your never to old to learn, If it wont grow veg ill take up hosta growing

mrf94

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 08:44:04 »
I got mine from outdoorline.  There are lots of sellers of green polytunnels on ebay, but mine had hoops every three feet across the roof and two rows of horizontal support bars.  This made the whole thing really secure and the finishing touch I really liked was the velcro tabs on the inside of the cover that secured it to the poles. 

Although it couldn't withstand the onslaught from 4 mindless teenagers, it had stood up to the gales really well.

Today is repair day and anti-climb paint on the top 6" of the fence.  It won't stop them climbing over but they will get really mucky in the process ;)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 09:03:48 »
what's the paint like to put on, smp..we're thinking of getting some, the club's put 2 containers by our fence, very convenient for vandals to climb over  ::)
it's that and/or barbed wire

mrf94

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 15:27:30 »
This is the place i found ,Wonder how it compares with yours SMP.

http://www.polytunnelsonline.com/proddetail.php?prod=PT4520

mrf94

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 17:44:33 »
Looks good - one tip - you might want to build a door and frame rather than rely on the zips which are a bit flimsy.

mrf94

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 20:01:34 »
You read my mind

mrf94

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal