Author Topic: Anyone tried this  (Read 1737 times)

mrf94

• Half Acre
Anyone tried this
« on: April 16, 2008, 19:46:56 »
Sow outside and either cover or not.
Broad beans
peas, old t-bags dipped in Vicks vapour rub will prevent mice from digging them up and will clear their sinus at the same time. Also deters slugs.

Maybe i browse to much

mrf94

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Anyone tried this
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 07:27:59 »
I've used Vic on the stems of sunflowers to prevent slugs and snails decimating them, that works well. ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 07:48:46 »
New one that.

Each year some one has a bright notion they swear works.

Moth balls to stop cabbage fly

The same year moth balls were supposed to stop cats pooing on garden lawns and planted with each potato stop slugs attacking.

Esso blue to prevent carrot fly

Then we went to Jayes fluid

Ammonia spray did the rounds too

As did garlic planted alongside everything

It seems to me that anything with a strong smell does help deter pests, but  I worry that some of these things can be harmful if they get into our food and I feel sure that it the manufacturers knew that their product was good at another job they would promote the information to increase sales.

Saying that, Cola makers do not tell us that their product cleans the lavatory of stains and makes a good metal cleaner do they?

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 19:07:08 »
One of the old boys used paraffin along the hedge and fences of his plot to stop badgers getting in.

Does anybody know any stuff that deters deer?  We have a family of Munjac deer that like eating the tops of stuff.

PAULW

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 19:34:54 »
Does anybody know any stuff that deters deer?

LEAD
With a charge of gunpowder behind it.

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 19:38:03 »
Does anybody know any stuff that deters deer?

LEAD
With a charge of gunpowder behind it.

Ha ha...that made me laugh out loud  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 19:41:09 »
It's also quite efficient for vandals...
 :-X

longlad

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 03:18:20 »
they don't taste the same though ::)
oh bugger its raining

Angelah

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 10:08:20 »
Vick on sunflowers - will give that a try, last year I I lost count of the number of sunflowers I planted and replanted that were immediately decimated by slugs. Thanks.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 11:31:35 »
One of the old boys used paraffin along the hedge and fences of his plot to stop badgers getting in.

Does anybody know any stuff that deters deer?  We have a family of Munjac deer that like eating the tops of stuff.

Tried everything against deer- the sprays wash off so are useless and expensive - unless you're there to respray constantly you'll lose thiings.
The fence HAS WORKED. Only 6 ft high which they could jump but someone said it looks crowded enough inside they won't try. Those allotments look so open they might try to jump 6 ft. 
 Have also tried making a dense thicket to protect the raspberries and transplanted anything that I had to make the tangle: bridle wreath bushes, rangy roses, hollies and other volunteer saplings, and snaked some old rusted hogwire fencing that blends in with the plants growing through it.  So far the deer haven't gone through this.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 11:40:25 »
I've had a small lion tethered on my plot for just under a year now and haven't had any trouble from deer during that time. I believe it also deters elephants from trampling your crops if anyone has that problem. Unfortunately slugs don't seem in the least bothered.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal