Author Topic: Raspberry canes  (Read 945 times)

springbok

• Hectare
Raspberry canes
« on: May 06, 2008, 15:16:32 »
I have two canes that are not seem to be doing much.  They are autumn varieties, my other one planted in September is already flowering.
Do I have two dead canes?

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: Raspberry canes
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 16:19:21 »
Woah there springbokgirlie!!! I was thinking the same thing about some new Allgold last week, and a shoot has appeared on one of them today... Don't throw them yet! I think I'm Souther than you?

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 16:52:37 »
One of the 10 I planted last year seemed to have died but this year it as reappeared...except that i only found it today while weeding and I've chopped most of the new leaves off!
So don't give up yet..anyway if you have others you can transplant some runners into the space.

lolabelle

• Hectare
  • nero
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 11:08:30 »
hi I live in the midlands  and  my autumn raspberries are only just beginnning to grow, some still show no sign of life but only time will tell now its getting warmer  8) yipeeeeeeeeeee

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 11:19:08 »
good example of the difference in the weather here in France - my autumn raspberries are already in full foliage, although not exactly in flower yet. So about 3 weeks ahead of some of you ;)
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 11:41:34 »
If you gently scratch the stem with your fingernail and you see green under the bark, then you will know for sure if you are growing raspberries or growing dead "twigs"  ;D
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal