Author Topic: Germination problems again!  (Read 2041 times)

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
Germination problems again!
« on: May 05, 2008, 08:35:20 »
I'm having problems germinating Busy Lizzies and Aqualegia at the moment.  I've tried two ways, one is in a tray, barely under the surface of the soil and some vermiculite on top.  The other is in individual modules with just soil.  Both are outside in my unheated plastic greenhouse, which seems to be getting up to a min of 20 degrees centigrade most days, sometimes 30.  Neither of them are working!  They are the two plants that my grandmother adores and she'll be gutted if they don't come up!  Any ideas???
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Germination problems again!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 08:43:42 »
Pity you aren't nearer Posie... Aqualegia are rapidly becoming a weed on our plots! Now Busy Lizzies are a pain, plug plants are my only answer to them!
 :-\

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 08:47:37 »
Everyone I've spoken to so far has said plug plants for Busy Lizzies! However, I have my stubborn and tenacious head on and they WILL do as their told rofl!  ;D  Clearly someone is able to germinate them into plug plants, so naturally I should be able to as well! Well that's my theory and I'm sticking to it!

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 08:59:46 »
I sowed 11 seeds of an F1 hybrid busy lizzie a couple of weeks ago.  I sowed them in seed compost, put the tray in a sealed plastic bag and put it in a very bright windowsill with gentle bottom heat from the portable TV!  I've got 6 seedlings about 1" high so far.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 09:00:31 »
I have no problem with busy lizzies. Sow the seed on the surface of the compost. Cover with cling film. Keep warm ie in the house. Use a fungicide to wet the compost btw. Germination in about a week
Aquilegia self sow in the garden so they shouldn't be a problem. Maybe they take a while - it's years since I sowed any

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 09:19:43 »
I have grown quite a few different types of Aquilegias over the years, and find they can take quite a long time to germinate in the spring. I now sow mine in autumn, and get good germination by springtime..I suppose it's mimicing what they do in nature! I would keep going with the ones you have already sown, you will probably find they will suddenly all shoot at once! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 09:26:55 »
hmmm, I'm thinking with the Busies that heat seems to be the issue, I might try the clingfilm approach and maybe a warm hot water bottle underneath.  I'll keep an eye on the Aqualegia, hopefully they'll get going soon.  Thanks guys.

nippie

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 13:28:08 »
I think that plug plants are the way to go with Busy Lizzies  ;) But other wise I don't think the seeds like to be covered, I never exclude light from very small seeds.
I agree that Aqualegia do better when sown in the autumn. They do take a long time to germinate though.
Good luck  :)
Friendship isn't a big thing.
Its a million little things.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 15:33:59 »
my aquilegia, heritage variety, told me to put the tray in the fridge for 2 weeks, did that, got lots to germinate  ;D

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 13:23:40 »
Have you read my thread on growing Busy Lizzies (Impatiens) from seed? I sowed 28 about 2 weeks ago and 26 of those germinated.

This is how I did it :

This year I found a Busy Lizzie seed starter kit, complete with seed, compost and mini propagator, in a 99p store so thought I would give it another go. The growing instructions in this were different. Basically what the instructions say on this pack is to sow the seed onto moistened compost and cover lightly with compost. Place propagator lid on and store in a warm place at approx 21C (70F), an AIRING CUPBOARD is ideal. I followed this method (using a warm dark cupboard, I don't have an airing cupboard) and as I said got 25 germinate out of 28 seeds sown (another has germinated since I posted this).

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 18:50:47 »
ooo I might try this.  Although I have to say out of the original seeds sown, I am now the proud nurturer of 1 busy lizzie seedling and 2 aqualegia rofl   ;D ;D  A success story it isn't lol

loopyloulou

• Acre
  • oh my... thats a LOT of couch grass....
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 21:53:33 »
dont knock it posie, the aqualegia are good at self seeding :) every year i get different coloured ones, this yr theyre pale pink with stripes on the outer bits, in the past ive had purple white pink...
i think i like it here :D now who can tell me how to grow my own chocolate???

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 05:31:11 »
Up early this morning to do some weeding, grannies bonnets, love in a mist, forgetmenots, poppies,cornflowers and I noticed a couple of busy lizzies yesterday. All selfseeding rubbish from the people that used to own the house 5 years ago.

How is it I cannot have the pleasure of germination problems.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 10:41:52 »
I'm with you on the self seeding cornflower ACE, it's a flaming nightmare! Plant them once, never get rid of the d**n things!

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 15:30:31 »
Hi Posie, any luck with the Busy Lizzies?

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 20:58:19 »
Not had a chance to resow them, been up to my eyes in the most boring text books ever!!!  However, I am on a planting mission this weekend, I hate being beaten by anything lol Loads of great advice from here, so something's got to work!  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal