Author Topic: CUCKOO  (Read 885 times)

betula

• Hectare
CUCKOO
« on: May 13, 2008, 23:31:51 »
Woke up early Saturday morning.Heard the loudest and most wonderful Dawn Chorus with the cuckoo taking the lead.
  One of those mornings when you felt so glad to be alive and part of it all.
Anybody else heard the Cuckoo?

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
Re: CUCKOO
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 23:35:52 »
Not heard a cuckoo but whilst walking the dogs the other day, I heard a woodpecker for the very first time.  Didn't even realise that we had them in our local woods.
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 23:38:27 »
Not heard it this year  Yet.    Last year on holiday in Skye I sat and ate my brekky outside and listened to 2 of them cuckooing, first one, then another  either side of the valley we were in.  I saw one a few years back as well in the Lake District. 

aromatic

• Half Acre
  • Lavender flowers yield abundant nectar
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 00:57:13 »
 :-\ Sadly have not heard the cuckoo now for about three years. it used to be a regular occurrence each May which heralded the oncoming spring and summer .... wonder where its disappeared too??? Also used to have loads of hedgehogs in the garden which we fed each night and they have also not been around for a couple of years.... live next to arable fields and farmers spraying on a regular basis, not sure if the chemicals in these sprays has anything to do with the disappearance of both the cuckoo or hedgehog????

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done.  ~Author Unknown

Love aromatic xxx

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 07:54:05 »
Last year, we had a baby cuckoo in our garden. The 'mother' used to run herself ragged feeding it. All her real young seemed to fly away when they left the nest, but the cuckoo hung around her for ages, waiting for her to get food for it.

Nature is a funny thing eh? So beautiful yet so cruel. I often wonder how the 'mum' survived after the exhaustion of keeping up with the demands.

Having a senior moment, so cant remember what the 'mum ' was ???

Had a family of sparrows learning to fly in our back garden yesterday. They were making a racket! Yeterday evening, I found a small pile of tiny feathers in the garden, so I assume one got caught by a cat :'(

cj :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal