Author Topic: Rotovator, which one  (Read 1631 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Rotovator, which one
« on: May 20, 2008, 20:22:23 »
our allotment owns a mantis tiller, just out of warranty, it's decided to stop working
we don't use it ourselves but, as part of the committee, we have to replace it, after reading the reviews on the internet about mantis, we'd prefer to get another make, 4 stroke, possibly honda,
anyone had any experience with any other makes ?
thanks  :)

runnerbean

• Not So New ...
  • Bean's been runnin!
Re: Rotovator, which one
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 21:04:33 »
My husband bought me a 4hp Honda as it was lightweight and easier to start - it is very easy to use and has been trouble free so far.....touch wood! ;

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 21:23:27 »
Manic,
              Anything powered by Honda seem to be flavour of the month but from what I have seen on the various web sites for Rotovators they do cost a few quid but Honda being Honda they will be well engineered and reliable, the chap on the next lotty to me uses a Honda powered rotovator and it does sound nice compared to my Briggs&Stratton powered Mountefield :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 21:59:38 »
thanks, both of you, will look into which, see if they have a report  ;D

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 22:05:25 »
the mantis is very easy to service and fix, it would be much cheaper to try to fix it, 2 stroke engines are very simple to work on and spares are readily avaliable for them, most of the time the carb just needs a new diaphram and a bit of a clean.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 22:12:27 »
the switch on the handle doesn't seem to work, either, we think someone's put the wrong petrol in, daft beggars, there's signs everywhere  ???
anyway, just found it's garuanteed for 2 years so we're looking for the receipt, it could still be within that  ;D

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 19:47:35 »
Manics

If you can't find the receipt, don't worry - phone Mantis with the purchase details - if you/someone sent back the guarantee card, you will be on the system.

If out of warranty, they offer a full service and repair for a basic £50 and cost of any parts and postage in included.  Just need to find a big box!

My Mum gave me a non working Mantis out of warranty, £51.30 later, it now works ;D  Cheaper than a new one!

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 20:12:09 »
just found out it's 4 years since they bought it  ::)
still, will ring mantis and ask , thanks, smp  ;D

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 09:18:18 »
HippyDave,

I think 2 stokes are soon to be phased out as they are falling foul of emissions green legislation.  I will miss the smell of 2 stroke oil in the car ( not)
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 19:55:10 »
HippyDave,

I think 2 stokes are soon to be phased out as they are falling foul of emissions green legislation.  I will miss the smell of 2 stroke oil in the car ( not)

Green Legislation is stupid, they phase out silly little things like a rotovator or lawn mower (only used occasionally and using very little fuel) but don't bother to get rid of gas guzzling road vehicles. Look for the heavy consumption vehicles and get rid of those, provided it is proved with a proper "Green Audit" that it is not wasting even more fuel and materials by replacing it. It is not green to scrap equipment before its useful life is at an end.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 20:21:59 »
I love driving my 4.8 Mitsubishi ;)

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 08:23:48 »
4.8? my neighbour is a civil engineering contractor, tows a six wheel trailer with a four tonne digger or road roller or various other equipment with smaller engines than that. His biggest engine is probably in the vehicle recovery truck he has (but that is a collectors item and not on the road).
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal