Author Topic: My Melons !!!!  (Read 1851 times)

Mr Physio

• Not So New ...
My Melons !!!!
« on: June 07, 2008, 12:50:02 »
Been lurking on site for many a while and find you guys so supportive and inspirational I decided to join, got a large veg patch and greenhouse attached to the garden so not technically a lottie, hope I'm accepted.

I grew melons last year but only got two very small ones late on. This year I have 4 plants all flowering in the greenhouse but for the life of me I cannot differenciate between males and females to assist pollenation, can anyone help, I know the females suposed to have a tiny rudimentary melon behind the flower.

Incidently, the two melons I grew last year were only discovered when I was clearing the greenhouse at the end of the season! :o

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: My Melons !!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 12:53:43 »
Welcom to the site MrPhysio.... ;D

I've had similar experiences with my melons over the past few years, but keep having a go!

I'm guessing you only have male flowers on your melons so far, when the plants are ready they will start producing female flowers with the little melon behind the flower as you describe. Have you pinched out the growing point on them yet to get them to produce side shoots?
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 16:36:37 »
hiya, mr physio, welcome to the site
you think you've got problems, I'm growing watermelons a friend from here sent me, don't know one end from the other  ;D
our 'normal melons, the 'girls' have baby melons behind the flower, the 'boys'don't , hope that helps  ;D

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 19:00:05 »
Have a look at the photo here  http://www.growyourown.info/page145aa.html
The female flower for a melon is similar
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 19:01:53 by realfood »
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Mr Physio

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 09:36:51 »
Thanks guys,

Mr Realfood I have two watermelon plants each with a tiny melon on which I have tried to pollenate with male flowers, here's hoping. The four melon plants must only have males at the moment is this usual.

Physio

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 09:39:30 »
Welcome to the site Mr Physio... the Water Melon you gave the School's greenhouse has flowers DebP  ;D

realfood

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 19:25:14 »
It is quite common for the first few flowers to be male, but I am sure that a female one will be along shortly!
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

peasmad

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 22:23:36 »
I got one of those cheap last day buy melons from the shop. I washed and sowed a few seeds and didn't expect much, but got 75% germination. But they're only at the 2 leaf stage.  So yours are way ahead of mine, but not a crop i intended to grow to be honest.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 22:28:52 »
Welcome to A4A. A few of us only have gardens but we are all welcome. Great site to be a member of. Have fun.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 12:43:14 »
Does this mean that you need to hand pollinate melons? I seem to have no trouble with squash, is it not the same??
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

realfood

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 19:40:55 »
It depends whether you are growing them outside where bees can pollinate them, or inside in a greenhouse.

banshee

• Half Acre
  • Watched over by Nya
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 20:44:23 »
Hi and welcome to the site.  ;D
Little garden plot, tended by faeiries, eaten by snails............

Mr Physio

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 20:50:22 »
Diolch  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal