Author Topic: what bamboo is best  (Read 1732 times)

daileg

• Hectare
what bamboo is best
« on: June 24, 2008, 14:32:15 »
i want to plant some Bamboo to make a hedge down the one side of the garden ,the line of bamboo will run east to west so will get sun most of the day till about 2pm and would be south facing my wife likes the black stem version but have been told its bit invasive is this correct or what would you sugest

as it will be for a barrier from the North winds to protect the other plants lower down that i want to plant

please your help is allways greatfull 

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
Re: what bamboo is best
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 15:19:41 »
Proper Black Bamboo - Phyllostachys Nigra, and other Phyllostachys variants are clump forming, so I wouldn't class them as invasive - that's more the ones that send out really vigorous runners.  I have two "walls" of Phyllostachys, one black & one with the green flash on the stem & they grow well once established, but you can control any runners just by pulling it up and back towards the plant- it stops that root growing but doesn't affect the rest of the plant.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 15:38:16 »
thanks froglets i thought that was the case i was hoping somone had it themselves as different places you visit say different things but ill take your word for it -phyllostachys nigra it is then how much am i likely to pay for them per 2lt pot

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 21:28:29 »
I don't know what size pot it was in but it was quite large & it was £60. It was a well established plant.
Janet.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 21:45:23 »
Phyllostachys Nigra is currently on offer for £12.99 for a 2lt pot or £17.95 for a 5lt pot from:
http://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/bamboo/exotics/phyllostachys-nigra/classid.1601/

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 18:49:45 »
thanks loads baccy man just what i was looking for looks like ill be buying four 5 lt pots of that keep the other half happy make a good wind break

Janet can the top be cut a little shorter as they can grow very tall if allowed cant they this variety is about 6- 10 foot isn't it

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal