Author Topic: Cuttings  (Read 2791 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Cuttings
« on: June 14, 2008, 18:48:20 »
Inspired by Carol Klein, I'm really getting into taking cuttings. hoping to produce lots of plants for a charity sale in August. Just wondering, is there an average time they take to root at this time of year, or is it different for every variety? Don't want to pot them up too soon, but getting impatient!At the moment I've got lavender, Sedum spectabile and Verbena bonariensis.

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Cuttings
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 20:22:57 »
The best sign that your cuttings have rooted is new growth, ie they are starting to grow.

Another 'test' is to gently pull a leaf of the cutting.  If it gives resistance, then it should be well rooted, if it comes out of the compost easily then its not.

The other thing to do is turn your cuttings tray upside down.  If roots are coming out of the bottom, then your cuttings are very well rooted.

I don't like to be a damp squib caroline, but I think you may have left it a bit late to get rooted cuttings for August.

I could probably help out with rooted fuchsia cuttings.  Other plants I have grown from seed this year are hardy border carnations and dianthus ideal select from Moles Seeds.  They might get a bit knocked about in the post, but they would have time to recover between now and August if you would like some.

I always grow far too many 'ornamental' plants each year.  You would be more than welcome to any of my 'surplus'.  Better you raise money for your charity than they go on our compost heap ;D

valmarg

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 22:00:34 »
That's really kind. Would they be ok to go straight outside or in a coldframe? Don't think I've got room in my greenhouse!

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 23:32:38 »
They are all hardened off, so would be all right outside.

valmarg

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 22:40:22 »
OK caroline, I assume you don't want to take up my offer.  Going to have a bloody good compost heap then, :( :(

valmarg

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 22:57:07 »
OK caroline, I assume you don't want to take up my offer.  Going to have a bloody good compost heap then, :( :(

valmarg

Talk about looking for a row!  Caroline didn't ask for cuttings, you offered.  It's only been a few days and now you appear to be blaming her for the waste.  Has it occurred to you she might be busy elsewhere?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 23:21:48 »
I really don't think I deserve your nasty reply georgie.  I had offered to send plants (at my expense) to fund a charity event.  As I said, I always grow too many plants, and would  have been happy to send some.

Just because I had not had the courtesy of a reply after a week, I sent a message saying that I assumed my offer had been rejected.

valmarg

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 00:00:37 »
going to have a bloody good compost heap then

No, I think Georgie got it right, Valmarg.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 00:31:29 by Amazin »
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 22:02:34 »
going to have a bloody good compost heap then

No, I think Georgie got it right, Valmarg.

I meant the compost heap comment as a joke.  Put the wrong emoticon, should have put a smiley ;D

valmarg

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 22:15:03 »
P.S. Either way, I am assuming my plants are not wanted.

The offer is still there.

I just find it difficult, having offered help, that I should be vilified by a misunderstanding.

valmarg

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 20:54:41 »
Sorry, Valmarg, I've been away at my Dad's while he's in hospital- no internet there. :( Didn't mean to cause trouble. ;)Should have replied before I left but was a bit preoccupied.

If you haven't composted your cuttings I'd love to have some. I will pm you with my address if it's not too late.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 21:32:25 »
Sorry  caroline to have sounded a bit impatient, but I am the most disorganised person I know, and though you don't need the plants until August, if you wanted any, I would have needed to put a bit of organisation into it before then ;D

If you PM your address I'll get organised and let you know when they are in the post.  I thought that the earlier I sent them, the more time they would have to recover from being bashed about in the post. ;D

valmarg

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 18:09:22 »
Thanks, pm'ing you now!

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 22:14:44 »
Right, am on the job, and will let you know when they are in the post.

valmarg

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 08:54:00 »
Thanks very much!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal