Author Topic: Foxy friend  (Read 1966 times)

romanybob

• Not So New ...
    • My Allotment Blog
Foxy friend
« on: August 04, 2008, 08:34:46 »

Looked me up and down a few times, I carried on digging. It wondered round the plot quite happily sniffing here and there!  :)

twinkletoes

• Hectare
Re: Foxy friend
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 09:07:20 »
I like to see them  ::)   I know that most consider them a pest - one chap on our site certainly does after a vixen and her 5 cubs played all over his onions and have completely decimated his crop this year.  They have also been "trampolining" on various blue netted areas too  ::) ::). 
twinkletoes

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 09:10:48 »
What a great photo.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 10:04:31 »
love them but hope they will stay away, we're getting chooks  ;D

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 10:23:23 »
A lovely photo Romanybob.  You were lucky it didn't run away when you went to get your camera.

Manicscousers, it is a foxes instinct to go after chickens so just make sure your chicken run is fox proof. 

One of my hens had taken to flying over the fence recently and on Saturday I found her very shocked with our dog standing over her. I put her somewhere quiet but she died later that day.    :(  I should have clipped her wings the first time I found her doing it so it was my fault, not the dog's.  I cannot say for certain that the dog was the culprit as this was one of my hens that normally goes for the dog if she gets too near.  She was moulting and had been out all night in the cold and rain so maybe that is what killed her.  My fault again for not counting them all the previous evening.   ::)

romanybob

• Not So New ...
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 21:23:46 »
Yes twinkletoes, many consider them to be vermin. I grew up on a farm and they were always trying to get into the chicken coop, very clever too. My Uncle runs a free range chicken farm, the electric fencing around the coops is the only thing that putts them off. But Trampolining! Wow, not good for the crops at all but what a sight it must have been. Youngsters getting into trouble...  ::)
Strangely enough no rabbit damage on the site though!
Just pure luck with the photo lorna, camera phone and all. Got a suspicious look due to the shutter sound though!  :)
Very beautiful manicscousers, but they do love chicken! Glad neither myself or anyone else has chickens on the site at the mo.
Sorry to hear about your hen Paulines7. Always a shame to loose one, but it happens. :(   

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 12:46:50 »
What a wonderful photo you took.
We only see fox at night. The good thing is they've taken care of our rabbit problem.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal