Author Topic: calabrese going to seed  (Read 2412 times)

baz621

• Not So New ...
calabrese going to seed
« on: August 01, 2008, 13:15:54 »
i planted some calabrese about 4 weeks ago,a lot of it has gone to seed producing yellow flowers, and a few plants are producing small heads, what have i done wrong, can i save the ones that have gone to seed-first time ive grown it, thanks

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: calabrese going to seed
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 13:20:37 »
Almost impossible to save the ones that have gone to seed.  You may get the odd decent spear that you could eat.  As for the others - you could try the same prevention method as for caulis - fold and tie the leaves over the head to prevent them from blowing,  but leave sufficient room inside the folds for the head to continue to grow.  (This is no good is it has already started going to seed - too late :-\)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 14:17:14 »
Tell me about it!!  :'(

I am giving it away to other plot holders because I cant eat it fast enough.

I have always grown two varieties and have found that they mature a fortnight apart, which has been fine in the past, but this/last year; the seed suppliers have taken one of the varieties off the market and gave me a substitute that is supposedly the same but!!!..it isn't >:( both varieties have matured together so I have a glut of plants.

Depending upon your variety cut the flowering heads off and secondary spears should develop.

In the past I found that I ate one variety over a two to three week period then the next variety was ready. When this was finished the secondary heads were ready on the first variety and so on.

All this resulted in me picking calabrese for around 8-10 weeks this year I just don't know what to expect.

Its back to the drawing board I guess :-\ ........trouble is it takes another year to find out if your new choice is what you want and if not then its another year :'(...........so much for the whims of the seed merchant when they sell a 'NEW' variety generally at an increased price, supposedly similar or better than previous replaced variety and it does not come up to your expectations. :'(

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 19:28:52 »
I'm having the same problem. Hadn't expected them to be ready quite so soon. Covering the heads is a useful tip - thanks.
Keep Calm and Carry On

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal