Author Topic: Potatoes  (Read 1300 times)

Dibsy

• Not So New ...
Potatoes
« on: August 07, 2008, 10:57:58 »
I understand that there are some types of potato that I can plant at this time of year to get a late autumn/early winter crop.  I've looked in the local garden centre and the pet food shop (which sells seed potatoes, loose beans etc) but neither have any left.  I've looked online and the places I have found seem to sell big batches.  I think I only want about 9 seed potatoes (we only have a small garden) - any ideas where I may get some from?

Thanks

Dibsy

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
Re: Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 11:04:49 »
Mine came in 2kg bags. Have tried to get some more for a friend but cant find anymore. I searched for 2nd crop potatoes. I asked for maris peer but suttons sent Nicola as they had sold out. I am looking too so if I find any will post here details.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 12:01:18 »
The RHS say the best type for bag growing for a late crop are second earlies.

I'm going to try using my own Anya and Charlotte, and one or two from  a supermarket at the end of August .

calico

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 12:08:00 »
You need seed potatoes specially bred  (held back ) for planting now for a
later crop.

The best ones are called Maris Peer.

I have a supply from a farmer and am planting them now.

As your luck would have it I will have about eight or nine left over and will send them to you free if you want.

Not sure how to do this information exchange but get your address to me and I will post them to you.

Dibsy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 12:21:53 »
Calico

Thanks for your kind offer - I have sent you a personal message with my contact details on.

Dibsy

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 12:26:56 »
I should have mentioned that I wouldn't use supermarket bought potatoes up at the allotment because they won't be certified virus free like proper seed potatoes.

Maris Peer are a second early and good for container growing. What sort of container are you planting in, Calico?

calico

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 12:46:01 »
Not container growing ......unless I have a few left over which I will just plant in the biggest pot I can find.

I am planting them in the open grond in rows as you would first earlies. About fifteen inches apart and eighteen inches between rows.

They will be through very quickly this time of year,  an early frost might put paid to them , but its worth the risk.

blythvalley

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 12:58:21 »
Hi,

I have just bought 10 Carlingford Seed potatoes from janelanenursery on ebay, if you google them they also have a website where you can mail order them.  Most other places I have tried, suttons etc have sold out.  I did ask at my local farm shops and nursery but everyone looked at me like I was mad asking for seed pots in August!

I hope this helps....

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 12:58:40 »
Fingers crossed then  :)

mark45

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 18:08:04 »
my local farmer gave me mine ask around mate