Author Topic: Hardneck garlic  (Read 1170 times)

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
Hardneck garlic
« on: August 26, 2008, 20:09:13 »
I've read that hardneck garlic doesn't store well, something I wasn't aware of when I bought it. I've just lifted it and it's an excellent crop. Does anybody know roughly how long I can expect to be able to store it under 'normal' conditions, and any tips for extending, other than pickling and freezing?

Thanks in advance

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Re: Hardneck garlic
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 11:57:46 »
Mine kept in nets in the garage until the following April

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 17:54:50 »
It might not store quite as well as softneck, but it does pretty well! I use mine first, so I'm not sure exactly how long it would last.

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 21:17:14 »
Thank you gents, I'm somewhat reassured now. :)

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 14:22:38 »
Probzably doesn;t need saying but,  like onons,  garlic need to be cured/dried before dtoring. Usual method is (leaving most of the leaves and roots on) to spread then on a wire rack in a cool dry place out of direct sunlight and where there is a decent airflow. Not expert at this myself but sure there's detailed info somewhere round here.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 15:06:51 »
Mine lasted from being harvested Sept one year til I'd used it all up, bout Feb/March the next....only reason I don't grow it is that it doesn't plait for me like the other stuff...no other reason.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal