Author Topic: Onions - to overwinter or not ?  (Read 1145 times)

Dadnlad

• Acre
  • Site Foreman ?
Onions - to overwinter or not ?
« on: September 04, 2008, 22:46:27 »
I'm considering whether to bother with overwintering sets this year

Have got a good few varieties of onion seed to try (which I think can be sown anytime from New Year on),  in which case will they be ready around the same sort of time as overwintered sets ?

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
Re: Onions - to overwinter or not ?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 01:07:29 »
I'll be trying both this time round. I grew white and red from sets sown late Autumn last season and although I had some mould (or possibly white rot), overall I was delighted with the results, especially the red which had a really strong flavour. This time round I plan to put seeds in between the sets for comparison.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 01:08:33 »
I usually grow two lots of sets - one lot go in Oct/Nov and the other Feb/March.  This year I grew some from seed in the spring and they were fantastic, I've just dug out the packet of overwintering onions to sow this weekend.  I hope they'll be as successful.  Will grow in modules in the poly tunnel and then put in the ground in the spring.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 09:52:44 »
Dropping the conventional overwinter.   

Only going to try white onion (Silver Moon) from sets. Perhaps if we had a larger plot we would go for it but after two seasons we have concluded that for us the time margin over the main crop doesn't justify the effort / space usage .

Will probably grow Pink Torpedo from seed again: sown in late January last time so may try Dec this time, since they were ready at the same time as the normal crop rather than earlier.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 10:24:55 »
I read somewhere that the overwintering ones (which are ready in Julyish as opposed to August) do not keep as well as the spring sown/planted ones.  I think I should be holding back on the overwintering ones and growing more summer ones.  I do want to move to growing from seed rather than sets, as it is a lot cheaper.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Dadnlad

• Acre
  • Site Foreman ?
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 21:33:22 »
I agree  Asbean, we grew Silvermoon and a red one ??? from sets(Tuckers)overwinter. They grew fine, but by the time they were ready, the Long Red Florence (sown early March indoors) had caught up ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal