Author Topic: WHAT DO YOU DO TO TREAT BACK PAIN?  (Read 3663 times)

Angelah

• Not So New ...
Re: WHAT DO YOU DO TO TREAT BACK PAIN?
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 22:43:42 »
Another thing try!!!! I'd recommend finding a good reflexologist. All parts of the body correspond to parts of the foot and there are several points which often have a surprisingly quick and effective response. OK it won't work for everyone, but my reflexologist has a number of patients with bad backs who have managed to seriously reduce their dependence on painkillers etc when she has treated them and shown them how to treat themselves.

I don't have a major back problem, but it does twinge sometimes, especially after having fallen downstairs whilst carrying my youngest - he was fine, as I twisted myself to protect him, I definitely came off worse, but now I know which points in my foot to massage it really does help.

Mind you I would recommend reflexology for almost anything!!! I'm a convert and she definitely keeps me sane!

Baaaaaaaa

• Acre
  • Life's a treat for those who bleat.
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 01:01:23 »
I am also looking for a tens machine.

Don't go to Boots unless you have money to burn. Try your local pharmacy first.
Physio Med are good for those hard to find consumables (http://www.physiomedhomecare.com/)

Two channels are twice as good as one, but not twice the price.
One with a CMB (Conventional, Modulation, Burst) setting is even better,
      more options = better chance it will work for you

Note TENS machines don't  work for everybody.
Maximus, Procerus, Vegetus

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 11:43:58 »
Thanks for your suggestions!~ my local poundshop has those gel heat pads. As they only cost £1 i think its worth a try and I will shop around for a tens!

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

isbister

• Half Acre
  • Middlesex
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 16:29:23 »
I think it's important to find out exactly what kind of back injury you've got. Years ago I got back pain, thought it was muscular and carried on regardless when in fact I'd slipped a disc. Did myself more serious damage which took two years of daily pain to sort out. If I get a recurrence (rare these days) I take some non steroid anti inflamatories (Naprosyn) and lie flat for a day, then get moving again. Basically I now know how to move properly and I can tell early if it's coming on. I don't think you can ever be free of back pain completely once you get it, you've just got to learn by trial and error what works for you.
Btw - tens, osteopaths, chiropractors, GP's and consultants didn't work for me, but a sports physiotherapist did.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2008, 18:09:15 »

When working on my plot I do some stretching before I start

Athletes always warm up, so should you, do as Kea says and you will not damage yourself so easily.

I have a very strong back. Of course I ache after a hard day, but who wouldn't, but a warm up each time I'm about to do some graft stops me pulling muscles etc.  Why waste money on quack cures and quack doctors, when you can stop it happening to start with.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2008, 19:52:10 »
I use Physio Med too Baa.....

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2008, 16:34:01 »
I bought this TENS machine http://www.lloydspharmacytensmachine.com/ though it was on special offer £9-99 and I find it works really well. I got my husband to try it last night on his shoulder/neck area and I have to say he didn't enjoy some of program it does and he only had it on 1...he was so scared of it he wouldn't relax! When it was finished though he said he felt better and would probably quite like it once he got used to it. I think he thought he was going to be electrocuted or something!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2008, 18:51:01 »
my tens machine is no good on my neck and shoulder, it makes me go dizzy, also, not on my elbows or knees..it's good on my 'fattier' areas, hips etc.. ;D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2008, 21:10:52 »
www.bowtech.com

Or give me a bell!

Bean_Queen

• Half Acre
  • growfruitandveg
lower BACK PAIN
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2008, 06:20:30 »
I guess your pain is in your lower back? 
Digging is a sure way to give you bad pain.   As others have said, you should bend your knees not your back (not as easy as it sounds).
Limit your digging to 30 mins a day, max

You have strained your muscles by bending forwards at the waist - so strengthen those muscles by bending backwards instead ... the Cobra position in yoga (Google it) is brilliant for this, but take it easy to start with.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal