Author Topic: Hedging  (Read 1598 times)

Ding Dang Doo

• Not So New ...
Hedging
« on: November 01, 2008, 16:00:51 »
Having a rather boggy plot end I wanted to put in  some hedging as a natural windbreak.  Is privet hedging ok in these conditions as I can get some from a friend who is ripping theirs up in the next week!  I would welcome any help ... Cheers :D

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
Re: Hedging
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 16:07:16 »
not sure about privet, but willow likes boggy soil.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 16:55:09 »
Privet won't like standing in water...  :-\

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 17:35:47 »

Ooooh  --   Privet can grow into near trees if not cut throughout the growing season ,
   love the smell of the flowers though.    ::)

What access will you have to your hedge  , you may have to  prune or trim -  a lot !

Think about a shrub that may give you fruit or flowers ?     A willow fence that would take
   a vine ---   you can work on the drainage aspect or grow in containers.    ;)

Pst ...  forget the privet !    :D

Floss x
Hertfordshire,   south east England

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 09:40:32 »
I think privet will be fine so long as it is not actually flooded and standing in inches of water for part of the year.
I also like the smell of privet when it flowers, I grow a couple and leave them untrimmed except for any branches that get in the way.`

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 10:13:27 »
Ugh, not privet!  Willow would like tha damp.  You could do a fedge.  This is a newly planted one around our composting toilet.

[attachment=1]

robbo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 11:24:22 »
I wouldn't recommend privets, they seem to leach all the goodness out of the soil for miles around.

Robbo.
Don't take life so seriously, it's not permanent.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 11:54:15 »
I love privet :-[, particularly the golden privet & have propogated twigs which now grow here and there as untrimmed shrubs - lovely golden blaze all through the year. We're on heavy clay soil and part of the garden is v. boggy....it grows well. Only needs cutting twice a year, so no hardship there.

If I'd got a plot to hedge and it was free, I'd go for it, give it a try anyway. Nothing to lose and you could always rip out parts & replant to create a mixed hedge later, if you wanted?

Birds love it too 8)

Ding Dang Doo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 20:04:06 »
Oh right ... I didn't know about them not liking the water though.  :-\ Will have to rethink then.   :-*Thank you all for your help.  ;) The soil isn't boggy just there seems a lot of surface water due to the amount of clay in the soil.  The apple tree and pear tree I planted are doing ok in the clay :).  Thank you all again though ... maybe no to the privet then.  :D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 21:56:02 »
I'd still say YES to the privet....it's FREE, it'll grow, it's disposable in the future if you want...seems like a bargain to me 8)...there again, I DO like privet.. :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal