Author Topic: HOW OLD  (Read 4913 times)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
HOW OLD
« on: November 27, 2008, 12:23:25 »
is your favourite Christmas decoration?.
 We have a fairy for the tree who is 46!!! this Christmas, she has had her dress smartened up a couple of times , she stil looks great.
Heaven forbid i should try to change her, the family goes into one, i shall post a picture when she comes out in a couple of weeks.

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
Re: HOW OLD
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 12:31:26 »
Gosh, heaven knows I don't do Christmas, but there are some decorations my dad brought back from China 50 years ago that I'm coveting when my mum goes.  Not sure they were originally made as Christmas decorations, more general festival lights and baubels, but they're not going to the skip while I breathe!
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 12:42:10 »
is your favourite Christmas decoration?.
 We have a fairy for the tree who is 46!!! this Christmas, she has had her dress smartened up a couple of times , she stil looks great.
Heaven forbid i should try to change her, the family goes into one, i shall post a picture when she comes out in a couple of weeks.

Yes, leave the fairy alone!!  >:( :D  I've got the decos made by Michael at Wright's Nursery, so they're about nineteen years old ;D ;D

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 13:07:41 »
My mother-in-law brings out two sailor dolls each year and places them as she has done for 54 years under the tree.

P.S... Not a Christmas decoration, but I still have one of my first toys, a stuffed dog...what makes this toy so special, is it is exactly the same as my little dog Sidney who adopted us when we lived in Canada. We brought him back with us to the UK and he lived till he was 18 1/2. (I miss him still)  :'(

I'll post a pic when I go up in the loft soon
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 13:13:11 by Lauren S »
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

pippy

• Acre
  • North Notts Allotments!
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 13:10:40 »
I have two plastic snoopys carrying christmas trees - I bought them with my Mum about 35 years ago so its for the memories (mum died long ago).  They are a bit tatty and cheap by todays standards, but I love them just the same !! :D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs ....

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 13:12:35 »
For the past 40 years or so, my brother in law has laid out a splendid display of the 12 Days of Christmas - little models of drummers drumming, ladies dancing, pipers piping etc., laid out on a bed of cotton wool. I remember he took weeks to find them all.
Keep Calm and Carry On

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 13:15:08 »
I have two plastic Snoopy's carrying Christmas trees - I bought them with my Mum about 35 years ago so its for the memories (mum died long ago).  They are a bit tatty and cheap by todays standards, but I love them just the same !! :D

My friend is a big snoopy fan,I managed to get her some 1970,s snoopy Christmas baubles off eBay last year ,from USA.

Bought her a snoopy jumper this year.

pippy

• Acre
  • North Notts Allotments!
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 13:19:02 »
I used to like the Snoopy cartoons in the papers back in the 70s and 80s.  And Fred Bassett was good too! :) :)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs ....

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 13:35:19 »
I have just one bauble from the past, it's older than me and I'm a penshner now ;D.
It gets wrapped in bubblewrap and put in it's box every year after sitting in pride of place next to the fairy.
Smile, it confuses people.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 13:46:04 »
I would have had a 38 year old fairy,do you remember them,they were like a ballerina.Unfortunately I left all my decs behind,in the loft at one house move,too far to go back for them.Sad.

I bought my sister a Santa sack in 1969,you told the shop the persons name and they put it on the sack in glitter.She still has it,it comes out every year. :)

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 13:55:59 »
our fairy (at my mums she wont let me have her :'( )is 104 this year and was made by my great grandad she is tatty now but really beautiful ;D my dad suggested that we get a new one last year and was nearly lynched :o

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 14:05:32 »
We have a few decs which belonged to my husband's grandmother so they must be well over 30 years old, and some little silver bells which were on our wedding cake so they are definitely 29 years old!

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 14:11:13 »
I have a felt fairy from when I was too little to remember,probably from my first Christmas with my adoptive parents but my most beloved Chrimbo deccy is a tiny pine cone. My dad and I painted some pine cones with white emulsion and poured silver glitter (probs from Woolies) on to them. I can even remember us doing it in the garage sat infront of the Triumph Herald car and it was freezing.  Now I have only one left and I am always pleased to see it every year. The paint is sparse and the glitter mostly gone, aaaww but  it's my little bit of treasure. It's got to be about 34 years old.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 14:45:47 »
Our fairy's dressed in a tutu made from my wife's wedding dress, so that makes the costume 42 years old. The doll's much older - not sure how old.

And some of the baubles came from Woolies (remember them?) in the early '50s.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 14:53:19 »
we've some of mum's glass baubles, she died 30 years ago, plus a glass butterfly and dragonfly, probably from woolies too..bit bedraggled but too precious to chuck  :-\

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008, 16:37:09 »
How very interesting to read about everyones Christmas treasures.

I must admit to having a Christmas card my cousin sent me about 28yrs ago it was so lovely i have just kept it, she sends a beautifull card each year , this one is to lovely to throw away. ::)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2008, 17:42:44 »
Do you know this has evoked all sorts of memories for me. Making paper chains with my brothers and my Dad putting all the decs up, the 'Christmas Performance', and the dress that Pearl Gunner wore as a fairy. I wanted one the same sooo much. Ha, move on, move on. ::)
Smile, it confuses people.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2008, 17:50:02 »
We still have some glass baubles from 1966!  And we still use decorations my sons made in playgroup - they're 40ish now  :) :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2008, 17:57:33 »
Our fairy is 53 this year  ;D

My Mum and Dad married in 1955 and my Mum bought her for their first Christmas tree.
As a child my Mum would loving fetch her out of the box and create her a wonderful new dress every single year.....she always looked so sparkly and gorgeous and my Mum would amaze me at the lovely creations she came up with and I would sit and watch in awe as she worked away.

Since then, both parents have passed  :'( We lost Mum six years ago, But I was adamant that I would inherit the fairy  ;D
So proudly she sits at the top of the tree, the only difference being that she no longer gets a new dress as I prefer to leave my Mums last creation on her in her memory.

I am very possesive about all of my Christmas decorations, every single one has a story and I know where/when I bought them all.

I even still put up babies first Christmas etc even though the 'babies' are now 23 and 19 respectively  :D  :D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2008, 18:11:37 »
Rosebud I never realised Sam was 46.  ???     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal