Author Topic: mulching  (Read 1900 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
mulching
« on: August 26, 2004, 09:43:30 »
when is the best time to mulch the garden? Spring or autumn?

(this is for hardy perennials, shrubs, trees as well as the veg patch)
gone to pot :D

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Re:mulching
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 14:16:01 »
Im no expert on this Aqui but I suppose that it depends on the purpose of mulching.  If it is to improve the soil condition, then I suppose autumn would be better. Giving it the whole of the winter  for the worms to carry it down into the soil.  If it is to retain moisture around the roots of the plants then I would think that spring would be best ready for the 'hot ???' summer months.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 15:12:46 »
It's to improve soil structure in some areas and everywhere to feed the plants.
gone to pot :D

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 15:34:19 »
I would go for autumn then.  Do it after you have cut things that need cutting down then you can protect the crowns of the plants too.  Kill two birds with one stone ;)
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 18:41:26 »
Autumn mulching for soil improvement of bare soil is fine, and works even better if it is then covered with black polythene for the winter.

However, where established plants are concerned, autumn mulching is not generally advisable for the following reasons:-

1.  Any nutrients in the mulch may induce the plants into growth at an inappropriate season,

2. If there is any winter waterlogging of the soil the mulch will prevent this drying out naturally from sun and wind, and will hold the wet in the soil,

3. The mulch may well delay the normal spring soil warming.

It is better to wait until the soil has begun to warm up and the plants have started into growth naturally before mulching.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal