Author Topic: Apple trees.  (Read 1793 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Apple trees.
« on: January 24, 2009, 08:28:52 »
I'm thinking of getting a couple of fruit trees. I love Braeburn but am considering James Grieve as I think that can be used as an eater & a baker? but I have never tasted J.G. Does anyone know what he is like. I prefer a hard, crisp crunchy apple with a slight tart taste. I suppose the best would be to plant a Braeburn & a baker but as we only have a 1/2 plot would prefer a dual purpose tree.
Janet.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Apple trees.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 08:54:47 »
JG is a reliable and heavy cropper, but I find it a bit insipid. If you buy "Minarette" style you can have 4 trees in a 10'x4' bed... we have a Discovery, Fiesta, Blenhiem Orange and Egremont Russet which have been in about 15 years and keep us (4) in Apples from August until March even with one going I the lunchbox most days. Braeburn can be unreliable in the UK...
 :)

worldor

• Half Acre
  • A Black Country girl
    • City Chickens
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 09:09:42 »
My advice is to check first that you are allowed trees on your plot. I ordered quite expensive minarettes only to be told after we had planted that no trees were allowed. They are now planted at home in the garden.

Incidentally Lidl do a good deal on fruit trees. Only £3.99 or something and I have heard that they can be very good. Not so bad if you lose them then is it. I bought two at £20 from a local shop and they both died. My sister-in-law bought two from Lidl and they are both doing well.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 16:41:27 »
Any apple can be used either as a cooker or as an eater. I discovered the other week that in other parts of the workld, they don't make the distinction. I have a James Grieve, it's OK, and fairly early, but it's not my favourite.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 16:57:33 »
we use discovery as an eater, baker, cooker and juicer, we have that many, we have to  ;D ;D

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 17:11:47 »
I have a half plot and have 10 fruit trees planted around the north & northeast side so that they do not shad any of my plot. No-one is next to me so i do not shade anyone else.

They are spaced at about 5' apart and at the moment will be grown as normal trees (wine glass shape).
All on dwarf stock and most bought from lidl for £3.?? or you can get nice sizes from Homebase or B&Q.

Don't forget you could grow them as cordons at about 2' apart.

If you want more than one type of fruit on a tree try these:
http://www.deaconsnurseryfruits.co.uk/generalfamilytrees1/
http://www.deaconsnurseryfruits.co.uk/familyjennytrees1/

As the others have said, make sure you are allowed them.

Neil

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 18:03:35 »
Thanks everyone for your help. MS how old is your Discovery. I do like that one but how long would it store? I think Lidl get theirs in this week so will ask OH if we can call in.
Janet

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 18:50:13 »
our discovery is 34 yr old, granny..it's 20' high and about 30' spread, never fails to give us a wonderful crop..they don't store so we give lots away, beautiful apple, straight off the tree...we get literally hundreds of apples  :)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 20:51:44 »
I know where to come in september then. ;D
Janet.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 21:37:35 »
Our Discovery is a restricted rootstock, about 15 years old and we get about three carrier bags full they keep for about 4-6 weeks max...  :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 21:48:16 »
I know where to come in september then. ;D
Janet.
usually end of august and you're welcome  ;D
saddad, I think ours is tapped into the main drain  :-X

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 21:57:02 »
Thanks. ;). I love Golbourne. I used to take our eldest granddaughter shopping to Asda. They lived on Church St I think. It was nearly 14 years ago.
Janet.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 23:59:53 »
Discovery is a nice apple, I've got a tree that I think is Discovery - it had it's trunk snapped off about a foot from the base when it moved from my mother's garden to mine. It has pinkish flesh often, and the right skin, so fairly sure it is Discovery.
Started off trying to train the new growth into step-over style, left it to do its own thing eventually and now its like a 4 - 5ft high bush, and provides around the same amount as sadad's. It's been in its present position 15 years.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal