Author Topic: floppy seedlings.  (Read 950 times)

Smellslikegreenspirit

floppy seedlings.
« on: April 16, 2009, 21:37:34 »
I have once again embarked on growing my Brassica in 3" plastic pots from seed (I know I shouldn't but he-ho?) When they reach approx 4" tall and with approx 4/6 leaves they flop over and carry on growing horizontally and not vertically....... Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong?? ???. I use john innes compost and grow them in a cloche.

ManicComposter

• Not So New ...
Re: floppy seedlings.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 21:39:46 »
I have had exactly the same problem, I ended up repotting them in deeper pots. Not sure what the cause of the original problem is though.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 21:45:01 »
Mine do exactly the same... red cabbage seem to be the worst, can never transplant them deep enough and they always end up lying about...  :-\

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 21:51:30 »
My OH has the same problem he is always lying about, mainly watching TV with control of the remote.  It would be too rude to mention anything about floppy.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 22:01:38 »
  ;D  ;D  ;D

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 23:22:09 »
You're not doing anything wrong by starting the cabbage seed off in 3" pots. I do the same. The problem you are experiencing is caused by leaving them too long. By the time the seedlings have begun developing the first true leaves they need much more space, particularly depth and should be transplanted into either bigger pots or deep boxes.

After about two weeks or so they are then moved again either to the great outdoors or a large container as suits your situation.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 06:53:06 »
My OH has the same problem he is always lying about, mainly watching TV with control of the remote.  It would be too rude to mention anything about floppy.
;D
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal