Author Topic: Runner Beans?  (Read 1516 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Runner Beans?
« on: April 19, 2009, 08:51:17 »
Why is there so much conflicting advice on distances between runner beans?  OH wants to go by the the book but which book?  Is the theory that if they are closer together they will support each other?  We are on a windy site. We will be having a double 10' row with a mix of runners & a few French. Is it OK to plant dwarf French beans in front of them.
Janet

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Runner Beans?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 09:22:47 »
Each to their own?

I stick to 9". If you have room, why go closer? The closer, the greater the sail effect & the more tangled to pick.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 09:22:57 »
Runner beans are probably one of the easiest things to grow and so every one no matter how they plant them (almost) always has a successful crop so what ever they do, works and they will swear that it is the best way.

6 - 8 inches apart, planted singly in a double row 18" between, is my favourite way.

Wind is the big problem once they have grown and are full of produce. They are heavy. If the ground is wet and slushy at the same time it can get messy.

On windy sites, perhaps making a frame with timber then fastening canes to the frame, as I have seen, will help them to stay upright. Wigwams are going to be stronger than two rows tied together, you could call it all round support.

In the past I have sown climbing french beans, dwarf french beans and runner beans together without any problem at all, other than getting more beans than I know what to do with.

The only tip I have for runner beans is to pick them all young, don't let them get long and stringy, even if you do not want them all, new ones will come. People just 'pick enough for a meal' and then have a load growing too big, I would rather give some away than do that. The french beans do not seem to get stringy.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 09:50:07 »
When grown well the runner bean will make a root mass up to a foot in diameter so planting much closer than this will put the plants under stress. The result is similar or less crop from a larger number of plants. Aim to grow good quality plants which are well fed and they will keep you well fed.

A wigwam of 10 beans will keep the average family stuffed with green beans all summer.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 10:58:09 »
Best, like all else, try for succession?

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 13:02:43 »
I go for two to a pole 9" apart, seems more productive than 1 to a pole 6" apart (which I've also tried), provided they have enough food and water.

JayGee

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 13:34:30 »
I've seen a different design of bean frame that I'm going to try this year.  If you can imagine a wooden frame with 'T' shaped ends.  The canes then fasten to wood run across the top so that the canes then slope from the bottom outwards (backwards way to the norm).  This makes the beans hang downwards and much easier to pick.

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 16:51:26 »
I've seen that design too, may try it next year. But not sure exactly how to construct it.
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal