Author Topic: Cucumber Problems  (Read 3949 times)

wetandcold

• Half Acre
    • Not on a gardening theme!
Cucumber Problems
« on: April 21, 2009, 11:47:24 »
I have sown two types of cucumber this year - Marketmore and Paska. All the seedlings were doing well and have produced two proper leaves but in the last week or so all of the Marketmore plants have wilted and died and have yellow and decayed-looking stems at the base. I have had a similar problem with adult plants before which is why I have grown Paska this year as it is supposed to be more resistant to fungus (which is what I have assumed was the problem).

Is this a common issue and is there a way of stopping it happening?

Mowhay

• Quarter Acre
  • Durham
Re: Cucumber Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 12:00:05 »
Cucumbers in general are prone to this if the area around the stem gets wet when you water. Some people "earth up" around the stem to prevent it getting damp. Watering around the edge of the pot should help.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 12:03:17 »
Difficult. Where - how - etc?

Hate to say that I've given up Paska after last year's performance.

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 12:25:29 »
I have sown two types of cucumber this year - Marketmore and Paska. All the seedlings were doing well and have produced two proper leaves but in the last week or so all of the Marketmore plants have wilted and died and have yellow and decayed-looking stems at the base. I have had a similar problem with adult plants before which is why I have grown Paska this year as it is supposed to be more resistant to fungus (which is what I have assumed was the problem).

Is this a common issue and is there a way of stopping it happening?

I sowed 10 seeds and all i have left is one single plant has four leaves and stands about six inch the rest did what you have said withered wrinkled and died

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 14:26:30 »
They have suffered from 'neck rot' I guess!

This is brought about by fluctuating temperatures and possibly over watering.

As other have suggested mound the compost around the plant/s to allow surplus water to run off or water around the edge of the pot.

Only water when the plant tells you not when the surface of the compost looks dry.

Plants will sulk when they want water, not to be confused with plants wilting under hot sunshine.

Testing the weight of the pot is a good guide.

Basically the same is required when planted out in the border.

Inserting a 4"-5" pot at the base of the plant can help i.e. you water into this and this keeps the compost/soil surface dry.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 21:44:19 »
Sme old problem Go with what TEE GEE says don,t plant the cucumber in the compost plant it on top of a mound.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

adeymoo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 14:09:56 »
TEE GEE's idea of inserting a pot in the ground next to the plant for watering also is good for tomatoes as their feeding roots are near the suface (apply soluble plant food to the suface - keep stem dry) and apply water into the bottom of the pot where they take water although a 9" pot would be better.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 18:33:01 »
we use old drainpipe or old 2ltr bottles with the bottom cut off and upended  ;D

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 18:46:48 »
so when they are in pots is it better to water from the bottom or is it just a case of they need to be alittle dry?

adeymoo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 16:20:47 »
it would be interesting to know how tomatoes really work, but I sit the pots in the sink with 1"-2" of water for convenience and so the foliage is not splashed.  A book I have comments that when you plant your tomato outside the top of the compost should be set 2" below the soil level (pre-water hole) and not fill in or water in for 2 weeks. This encourages the water seeking roots to go down. I can only assume the feeding roots then develop when the 2" of soil is filled in.

I have noticed that at the point where the stem meets the compost in the pot, about 1" of stem is hairier - maybe this where the feeding roots come from?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 16:47:37 »
so when they are in pots is it better to water from the bottom or is it just a case of they need to be alittle dry?
I always water mine from the bottom and grow them 'on the dry side' and I mix vermiculite into the compost so's it doesn't get sodden  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 19:23:40 »
I soak mine regularly, from the top, and I've never had problems as a result. As a general rule, plant toms as deep as possible, as they grow roots from the buried stem.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal