Author Topic: Mice or shrews?  (Read 3324 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
Mice or shrews?
« on: September 16, 2004, 21:04:24 »
Moved a rock on the Rock bank to get at the roots of a very invasive plant and was rather startled by the swift exit of three or four mice or shrews. No nest and no tunnel. The hen which was helping me went after one, but was too slow so I do not know if they were house, field, or shrews. Made me jump though.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
Re:Mice or shrews?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2004, 11:05:14 »
Hi Palustris!

I think my reaction would be more than jumping! I'm impressed by the chicken's reaction though. But what would she have done if she had caught one of the wee beasties?
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2004, 21:34:48 »
Beaten it to death on a rock and eaten it. They are very fond of meat!

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 18:44:45 »
Wow! I've learned two new things today - the first being that chickens like meat. Thanks for getting back to me Palustris.
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004, 20:10:39 »
They will eat almost anything that they can, from mice through frogs to windfall apples and pears. They leap up to get the berries on the fuchsias and raspberry canes. If humans can eat it so can hens. They will even eat chicken! They also love cat biscuits, and certain other things which I refuse to mention before the 9.30 watershed. Ours are true free range chickens, though they do get corn and layers pellets they scavenge. I dont eat eggs!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 20:12:39 by Palustris »

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 08:38:06 »
So they aren't fussy eaters then! I read the other day that Alan Titchmarsh recommends getting a duck to solve a slug problem - do chickens eat your slugs as well?

I grew up eating eggs from mum's chicken owner friend. I can't believe the difference between shop bought ones and "Marjory Eggs". I personally love eggs but prefer the yellow to the white. I can understand people not eating them though.

How many chickens do you have?

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004, 18:25:44 »
We have 4 Chamois Friesian bantams, 3 black Peking Bantams, 1 white Peking bantam, 1 Dark Sussex bantam, 1 Exchequer Leghorn bantam, 1 large white Sussex and there are also 5 drakes and 3 call ducks.
The season we kept the hens in a pen instead of allowing them to roam freely we had the worst seaon ever for slugs and snails. The ducks certainly eat slugs with relish, bt they have ruined the big pond.

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2004, 19:18:59 »
Hi Palustris. I love Bantams but wouldn't know one from another. Is it that you like Bantams or that they are good to keep? I'd love the space for chickens and/or ducks but alas our deeds have a clause written in that we are not allowed to keep them. And 50 sq ft isn't really enough space in my opinion!!! Would you be able to post a picture of some of them for me? I'd love to see them.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2004, 19:23:01 »
Just read this thread and now am convinced my hens have an identity crisis. I don't think they know that they're hens as they won't eat anything that hens are meant to eat, apart from growers pellets, corn, sweetcorn plants, grapes and blueberries. I have tried worms, carrot, tomato, snails, cabbage, lettuce, melon, chard, courgette leaves, apples, pears, oh it goes on and on and they just turn up their beaks. How do I teach them to eat what hens like to eat, and I don't want to have to show them myself!  :o
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal