Author Topic: Help - Where can I buy reasonably priced windbreak netting?  (Read 2948 times)

carosanto

• Half Acre
Hi everyone

I want to grow some outdoor tomatoes on the lottie, but need to make a sheltered enclosure.  I've searched all the usual places, Ebay, gardening sites, for windbreak netting, but it is soooo expensive.  I just need about 20 mtrs x 1 mtr but they are quoting silly prices.  Anyone got any good tips on (a) where to buy cheaper, or (b) a good substitute?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards to all, Caro
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

lewic

• Hectare
Re: Help - Where can I buy reasonably priced windbreak netting?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 08:30:38 »
I've cobbled one together with bubble wrap and garden canes. The bubble wrap is held on with gaffer tape and clothes pegs. Amazingly it stood up to the recent bad weather, although it could do with being stapled at each end. The bubble wrap was £1 for about 5m x 1m.

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 08:38:04 »
I've knocked together a similar windbreak with fleece and canes. I used a double layer of fleece and it is pretty cheap.

Inside I grew courgettes, tomatoes and sweetcorn quite successfully on my old allotment. Garden centres sell fleece from rolls about 2 or 3m wide.
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 08:42:12 »
Any chance of some pictures?

carosanto

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 11:01:37 »
Did yu want piccies of my lottie, piccies of my windbreak when it is finally up, or piccies of me (not recommended!)?

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 11:23:06 »
well there is the question there is no cheap netting my advice is buy 50 m roll use what you need for your toms for the windbreak before long you will want some for your Cabbage then to protect the fruit and so on before you know it you have used the lot and
and you end up with a good crop it will last you a long time if you look after it so spending 20 - £30 is not a lot in comparison to what you get in the long run
allotmenterring isnt cheap never saves you money but in comparison to flavour and quality of what you eat there isnt a shop greengrocers in the land who can give you what you grow yourself.

is started a thread on here recently to see where the cheapest place for netting looks like on
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NETTING-GARDEN-POND-CROP-DEBRIS-GREEN-2m-x-1m_W0QQitemZ200340681006QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_H_G_Garden_Plants_Landscaping_Garden_Materials_ET?hash=item200340681006&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50 

carosanto

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 11:37:27 »
Daileg, thanks for the tip have contacted already.  And Tomatoada, just twigged u wanted a pic of GodfreyRob's fleece enclosure, not of me or my lottie!  So GodfreyRob over to you, and I think I will buiild my temporary enclosures from fleece and invest in some expensive mesh for my more permanent stuff.  Already ordered some fleece specially, and investigating Dailegs link for my investment buy.

We live and learn.  Thanks all.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 11:51:27 »
First - what is Windbreak Netting? It is a very porous fabric - certainly not bubble wrap or, even, fleece. These do more harm than good.

50 years ago, it was Rokolene - we still have it!

And a break gives protection for "3 times its height".

Try NA Kay?

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 12:13:40 »
Yesterday I was looking on here and found this link which several people have used:

http://www.tarpaulins-togo.co.uk/category-69/Debris-Netting.html

I ordered it about this time yesterday and it is already here!  I did do the "next day" delivery as it was only something like £1.50 extra and I knew I would have the time to sort it today and tomorrow so it was worth it, and cabbage whites are already fluttering around my garden. ::)

I am well impressed with the service!!

T.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal