Author Topic: mantis ?  (Read 946 times)

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
mantis ?
« on: May 23, 2009, 17:11:40 »
been thinking of buying a mantis tiller for some time..is it as good as the ad says or is it just another toy town  machine at a very expensive price

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
Re: mantis ?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 17:34:28 »
Some people on here have been pleased with their Mantis.  I bought one 3 months ago and I am undecided whether to keep it.  It did not work in wet soil and does not cope with couch grass roots.   Also I do not find as easy to control as in the demo  video.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 18:07:59 »
From what I have seen(I dont own one),the Mantis is only good for working the soil into a fine tilth ready for planting and for weeding between rows.

For real tiller work you need something bigger if you want depth.I dont think the Mantis gives you that.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 18:08:47 »
jimthewurzel,
                       Nothing wrong with a mantis it is a light rotovvator/cultivator for light work, for heavy ground work  get a  big piece of kit, :)

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 22:57:18 »
The Mantis will dig to 10" deep, you have to pull it towards you slowly. My soil is heavy clay, untilled ground needs digging over first, but the Mantis can handle everything else. Like all machinery the soil has to be at the right moisture level, I've had a fair bit of experience, ploughing with an International W6 tractor.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal