Author Topic: Slug heaven  (Read 1788 times)

gibbonm

• Not So New ...
Slug heaven
« on: June 09, 2009, 09:34:30 »
I have had a real problem with the area of ground near my compost heap.  I get great compost out of it but it is a breeding ground for slugs.  They come out at night and I try and catch them but it's an uphill struggle.  I have tried organic pellets and nematodes in the heap but they just seem to munch all that up and grow even more. 

Most of my veggie garden is OK but the bed next to the compost is a real battle ground.  Any thoughts?

Neil

FennelandFern

• Half Acre
    • Fennel & Fern
Re: Slug heaven
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 10:16:17 »
Hi Neil,

I had real issues with slugs eating my young pea seedlings, so I used this recipe:

http://fennelandfern.co.uk/2009/04/20/slugging-it-out/

This worked an absolute treat. The slugs didn't touch the next set of seedlings I planted out, and they are now pumping out peapods with gusto! I am now using the spray on my young pumpkins and squash, as slugs just love to much their way through the young tender foliage. So far, not one single bite....

I will warn you, the stuff doesn't smell like roses!
www.fennelandfern.co.uk

Have a look at the Good Growing Guide - free downloadable gardening advice: www.fennelandfern.co.uk/grow

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 17:36:10 »
The garlic spray sounds like a good idea. My beans get devastated every year when I plant them out so it's worth trying.

hild

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 18:51:38 »
Saw an interesting article in a Norwegian newspaper (won't include a link as it's all in, well, Norwegian...) but they were explaining a method for dealing with slugs which sounded quite tempting, if a bit fiddly at first!

First, you get your nematodes (bearing in mind that they should be treated like fresh goods and so and so forth).  Now collect a bucket-full (or thereabouts - what's the collective noun for a lot of slugs?  A head-ache?) of slugs - the article suggested getting your neighbours to help out as well, the bigger the area you treat the more effective it'll be.  Prepare a 'solution' of nematodes and lukewarm water in a bucket, dip a colander of slugs in the solution, cut the slugs in two and put them back in the solution to soak for a bit (doesn't say how long, but I'd guess half an hour?).  Now put the slug-bits around the garden in slug-friendly places and afterwards pour the rest of the solution over them.  The other slugs in the garden will apparently now smell this, find it irresistible and come zooming over to gorge themselves cannibal-fashion, thus picking up the nematodes and thus spread it around.

They say this is much, much more effective than simply spreading the nematodes as per the instructions on the packet and claim this rid their whole neighbourhood of slugs in two years.

I'm not quite sure what to think about it myself - if it really does work, that is!  I mean, what about the other animals and birds that eat slugs?  If I was certain it wouldn't affect all the lovely birdies around here I'd probably give it a go - or am I being silly? :-\

gibbonm

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 23:30:12 »
Lots of great ideas.  I'll definitely try the garlic spray and I am due my final delivery of nematodes soon so may try the poisoned bait idea too.

naff

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 00:08:27 »
As well as using the garlic liquor I add rhubarb leaves to the mix for an extra kick!! I have even added nicotine and used it in quantity around the BOUNDARIES only of my plot,a bit like a minefield area!! The nematodes seem to be working quite well on the plot(measured by amount of slug damage) but as the slugs die underground I have no idea of the killing power.
As far as I know nematodes are harmless to other wildlife even if contained in bits of slug so the Norwegian idea might be worth trying.

hild

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 18:48:15 »

As far as I know nematodes are harmless to other wildlife even if contained in bits of slug so the Norwegian idea might be worth trying.

Oh, I know they are - I was just wondering whether there would be adverse effects to any birdies or other beasties who usually eat slugs if I were to decimate their (potentially only?) foodsource!  Any wildlife-experts who'd know?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 19:05:38 »
I find yoghurt useful.  One evening I left an mostly eaten yoghurt in the garden and came back to it at dusk to find the pot heaving with slugs.  So now I put out pots with a scrapping of yoghurt around the garden, then before they notice just how little food there is I gather them up. 

I have a large toad in the garden this year, and have noticeably fewer slug issues.  I also have seen signs of hedgehogs.  When I had a family of six in the garden I never saw a slug.  I loved going out in the evening and hearing them grunting quietly around the gafden.

boltonlad

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 23:41:47 »

Oh, I know they are - I was just wondering whether there would be adverse effects to any birdies or other beasties who usually eat slugs if I were to decimate their (potentially only?) foodsource!  Any wildlife-experts who'd know?

The birds will just move to another food source, or if you feel guilty pu out a bird feeder.  At the end of the day you are here to grow things to eat yourself and for family members.  If you let the slugs go unchecked you will end up with hardly any crop to eat yourself.

I went down to my pride and joy grrenhouse tonight and found to my suprise a slug happily munching away on what will be my first tomato crop in said greenhouse.  I was trying to hold of on pellets hoping that the greenhouse would be well enough seeled.  I was very very wrong and out came the slug pellets, not just in the greenhouse but all over the plot, as I remembered the dismal weather we are having recent and how the slugs enjoyed the wet conditions last year, and then my cabbages of which I did not get to eat one.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal