Author Topic: Medania spinach  (Read 1823 times)

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
Medania spinach
« on: June 22, 2009, 15:12:33 »
Danish Islands

Well, I grew Medania spinach this year for the first and last time. The germination rate was lousy, and it bolted almost as soon as there were a few leaves showing. Compared to Matador, I am disappointed.

The Danes claim (I live in Denmark) that 70% of the world's spinach seed originates in Denmark. I found that interesting, and it explains where the name "Medania" could originate. What is more interesting though, is that just up the road from me is a huge field full of bolting spinach, and it looks like the Medania in my garden.

Now here's my point; how can they produce good bolt-resistant spinach seed if they don't sort the early bolting plants from the rest? Some male spinach plants bolt VERY early, and they should be weeded out to maintain the bolt-resistant characteristics of a variety. Nobody is tending the plants in the field up the road though, so it tempts me to say that Medania's original fine characteistics have been lost through negligence  :-[

Anyway, now I am growing an F1 spinach, and very fine it is too. Quick germination and high success rate. Very succulent and sweet, with lovely red stalks. I shall let it make seed for me. The only problem is stopping that Medania pollen blowing about in my garden  ;D. Any suggestions for a spinach pollen barrier?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Medania spinach
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 17:13:02 »
How is spinach pollinated? I spect it's going to be insect-pollinated, though I could be wrong. In which case, you can get round it by bagging flowers and pollinating artificially. It might be worth asking on the boards at http://alanbishop.proboards.com/index.cgi? as there's a lot of expertise there.

If it's an F1, you'll get a good bit of variation in the first year's crop. Save seed from the best, grow plenty to avoid inbreeding, and there's nothing to stop you developing your own variety.

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
Re: Medania spinach
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 19:06:35 »
Nearly all spinach is wind pollinated. On average 47% are male, 47% female, and just 6% hermaphrodite. To prevent crossing you need at least 1200m to other varieties they say.

You suggest the same pollination method as with beetroot then. I'll give it a try when I get that far.  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal