Author Topic: Theft/Damage to plots - CCTV?  (Read 1167 times)

arphamoe

• Not So New ...
Theft/Damage to plots - CCTV?
« on: June 29, 2009, 21:33:26 »
Just as in most places, our site has been getting unwanted visitors who disrespect our plots and produce. We have reported it to the Council Allotments Officer and local Police who are supportive but unable to commit sufficient resources to cause it all to stop.

We are considering setting up some sort of CCTV coverage, but with no power source, the options seem limited. I am starting to do some research, but often find that if you ask, someone else has already done some groundwork on the subject.

Is that someone you?

We'd love to hear any reasonable avenues to follow up.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
Re: Theft/Damage to plots - CCTV?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 22:18:46 »
What about some fake cameras with a 'cable' going into the ground?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 22:31:13 »
Have you thought about a wireless webcam?  Cheapest are about £30.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 22:54:52 »
When we suffered the arson attack earlier this year and lost our building, cafe, stock, tools etc. our committee discussed installing CCTV (or at least dummies) along our boundary where we think unwanted visitors gain access.  On balance, we decided not to because we felt it might have the opposite effect by drawing attention to the fact we have stuff worth protecting.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 05:49:16 »
We have been thinking about doing something like this ever since our pavilion was broken into.  It's a Portacabin and made of metal but that didn't stop the b*****s ripping open the door and causing enough damage to put it out of action for a couple of months while we waited for the whole door to be replaced.

Our site is set in a park, with no houses nearby so alarms would be pointless. 

One good thing we have is Allotment Watch which is organised by the local Police.  They have keys to the gate and call in at night.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 07:42:43 »
Without power your options are limited but you can do solar powered cctv http://www.reuk.co.uk/Solar-Powered-Wireless-CCTV.htm
I havent actually installed one but have installed solar powered weather stations and they work fine.
We have CCTV everywhere at work (a school) and it may deter but it doesnt stop theives.  It may help in prosecuting but that doesnt help if all your veg has been nicked...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 07:59:56 »
That's fine for the camera but what do you do about the receiver on an allotment site?   

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 14:10:09 »
All this and the school holidays have not started, if I could guarantee that I was going to get turned over I would do what others have suggested and inject any kind of bowel release agent in my strawberries nastier the better, ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal