Author Topic: Insect Repellent  (Read 2149 times)

Kendy

• Half Acre
  • Little Sutton, nr Ellesmere Port
Insect Repellent
« on: July 01, 2009, 16:21:01 »
Every time I go to the lottie I seem to get bitten by something - midges, red ants.  I am particularly prone to bites and so use a couple of different sprays - Mijex (50% deet) and also Autan Family Care (which I don't think is strong enough for me).

Currently, I have a bad bite on my ankle which is leaking yellow puss (sorry) and has a large swelling - might be a trip to the docs in the morning.

What does everyone else use as a deterrent ?  Was thinking of trying the famed Avon body lotion (might smell funny but if it works then worth it).  Is this it:-

http://avonshop.co.uk/product/summer-shop/bikini-ready-body/skin-so-soft-soft-and-fresh-dry-oil-body-spray.html
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 16:23:16 by Kendy »

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
Re: Insect Repellent
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 16:24:44 »
i'm not clicking on that link! I've come over all faint just looking at it  :D

bikini-ready-body/skin-so-soft-soft-and-fresh-dry-oil-body-spray.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 16:31:49 »
I get a bad reaction to bites - they swell up and fill with fluid then burst.  I have steroids to control it.  I've tried all types of repellants - sprays, lotions, Avon, citrus, tea tree, tumble drier sheets, garlic, you name it I've tried it.  The ONLY thing that comes close to working is 50% DEET.  It's not nice stuff but it's either that or suffer.

Which? magazine just did a trial that included Avon and it didn't work for them either.   The two high strength repellants they recommend are both 50% DEET - Boots Repel Extra Strength and Jungle Formula Extra Strength.

Kendy

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 16:38:56 »
I've been avoiding the Mijex because it is a bit oily but  I think I'll go back to it and put it on even if just nipping to the lottie.  This ankle is killing me

ChrisBro

• Quarter Acre
    • My Allotmment Journey
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 16:43:27 »
I (luckily) dont have a problem with this I must taste really bad because I never get bit (what this space now!!!!!), however I do know that anything that contains citronella is supposed to be very effective.

Sorry I couldn't be more help hoep it all gets better soon :)

Chris

Follow My Allotment Journey http://www.PembrokeshireAllotment.Com

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 16:46:56 »
hi kendy. I get bitten to pieces too, and can vouch for the Avon stuff. it may not work for everyone but it does work for me. I hope you find something that works for you - it might be worth trying the Avon stuff, you never know!

Kendy

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 16:49:08 »
Sorry I couldn't be more help hoep it all gets better soon :)

Thanks Chris - it's every time I go to the lottie something gets me and it is getting worse as I get older (must be rotting!)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 16:56:08 »
Avon skin so soft works for me too(green bottle) and I am like the last supper to all mosquitos and midges. If it works for me it should work for anyone  :D Its pleasant to use and doesn't smell  feminine. I can actually smell the citronella in it. I am sure i read somewhere that its has been used by the USA troops as a mosquito repellant!!

Duke :)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 17:06:00 »
I've only just tried skin-so-soft to keep off the horse flies.  It's difficult to say if it worked because there are so many - I work outside in the country and there'll be 20 trying to bite me through my boilersuit - the only thing that's really effective is covering every inch of skin - but then I get heat exhaustion.  Bummer!

Black flies and midges are sometimes troublesome on the allotment but on bad evenings I just go home.  My wife's a gardener and swears by lemon juice.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 17:13:52 »
Increase the garlic content of your diet?

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 17:35:58 »
'Avon skin so soft' for me use it all the time fishing, :)

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 17:43:13 »
Avon Skin So Soft is the business (Greeney Blue  bottle/ Fresh scent one). SAS use it and other armed forces guys. Works even with Scottish midges :)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 18:05:05 by Hector »
Jackie

meg_gordon

• Half Acre
  • Ayr
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 18:00:53 »
Avon skin so soft works for me too(green bottle) and I am like the last supper to all mosquitos and midges. If it works for me it should work for anyone  :D Its pleasant to use and doesn't smell  feminine. I can actually smell the citronella in it. I am sure i read somewhere that its has been used by the USA troops as a mosquito repellant!!

Duke :)

SSS works for me too - it was recommended to me years ago by my brother in law - he's American and lives in West Virginia - he goes turkey hunting and it keeps those "noseeums" as he calls them, at bay.  I live in MIDGIE LAND and this spray oil does work.  Not the nicest smell in the world, but who cares if you are not being eaten alive!

Meg

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 18:29:32 »
If none the above work try taking garlic capsules every day and get some Tiger Balm from the chemist rub a bit on both sides of the ankles. While its not the best of smells its very afective.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

small

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 21:32:29 »
I cover up - baggy cotton trousers, an old shirt of OH's (he's twice my size) and a headscarf. Always gloves, of course. Stops me burning as well as preventing bites, except on my eyes - I have been known to wear protective goggles especially in the evenings.  Ooh, I do look elegant!

trogg

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2009, 00:29:54 »
Yes, another vote for skin so soft  ;D

I'm in a Biker club (motorcyclist) and have been arranging our annual AGM, which this year is in Scotland.

Almost all our Sottish colleagues have mentioned this product (also another one that I can't remember)

So, if some rufty tufty bikers recommend it, it can't be bad  ;D 
boing boing

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal