Author Topic: Elephant Garlic  (Read 1235 times)

Jokerman

• Half Acre
Elephant Garlic
« on: July 05, 2009, 23:34:21 »
Dug mine up today and they look great....

Just one question, there were a few very small cloves that seemed to be seperate from the bulb but attached by what appeared to be a root. They were about half an inch long and a lot darker than the main bulb. Also seemed considerably harder.... anyone know what these are or could be used for?

??? ??? ???
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ~ Tolkien

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Elephant Garlic
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 23:36:38 »
They do throw up little bulbils, which in theory can be grown on to form bulbs; but it's quicker & easier to plant cloves again!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Jokerman

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 23:38:42 »
Was wondering if I planted these now, would they grow into MONSTERS for next year.....?
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ~ Tolkien

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 11:00:09 »
I haven't tried it, but apparently they take two years to produce bulbs. If you want to try it, it might be best to start them in pots.

Jokerman

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 17:55:33 »
Don't know if I can wait that long......    :'(

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 19:55:33 »
If you can break the dormancy of the bulbils(quite difficult), they will form a small round after a year and if replanted, the small round should form cloves the second year.
My experience of planting the bulbils is here:-http://www.growyourown.info/page145.html
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Jokerman

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 22:44:24 »
many thanks... cracking site.. just added it to my favourites!!!    (",)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal