Author Topic: moving Mahonia plants  (Read 3262 times)

trogg

• Not So New ...
moving Mahonia plants
« on: July 08, 2009, 01:00:54 »
Hi,

I've got 2 mature (5 years) Mahonia plants that have outgrown their current position .

what I want to know is, can I move them to a more suitable position without killing them ?

At the moment they are 6 feet high.

cheers

Kev
boing boing

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: moving Mahonia plants
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 06:59:28 »
Is pruning an option instead of moving?

small

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 16:59:32 »
My advice is, prune then move - I've moved Mahonias at about 3' tall very successfully, they do seem to be one of the toughest plants going. As usual, whenever you move, as much soil as possible round the roots and water, water, water.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 17:35:09 »
Make a big hole and plant with the soil back in mixed with some peat.  Yes water frequently.  Spray the leaves with the hose as well.

trogg

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 09:03:49 »
The main problem I have is I planted them too close to each other, and only a few inches from the patio and a fence.

Getting into the root system will be a problem.

I know they are tough, they were given to me in pots as a birthday present, I planted them out just before we went on holiday, when we came back I found them on the lawn looking dead  :( ( someone had pulled them out and thrown them down the garden)  >:( replanted in haste  ::)

I've got another idea, if I keep them where they are I would need to cut them down to 2 foot, would that be too much ? should I do it a bit at a time ?

One last Question  :) Can you take cuttings off them ?

Thanks for your replies so far  8)
boing boing

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal