Author Topic: Tasteless Blackberries  (Read 1344 times)

Gillian

• Half Acre
    • mytinyplot.co.uk
Tasteless Blackberries
« on: July 14, 2009, 22:38:32 »
My Blackberries are ripe already (very early I know, but they're on a south facing wall). They look gorgeous, very plump and juicy. The only problem is they are completely tasteless. Anyone know why?
It's a variety called 'Bramble'. Should I just dig it up and start again or is there something I can do?

Gill

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Re: Tasteless Blackberries
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 23:23:18 »
Wait.

Gillian

• Half Acre
    • mytinyplot.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 09:05:55 »
I'm not sure I can. The fruit is so ripe that it's falling off the bush. It's definitely ready. It's also on a south-facing wall and we haven't had that much rain. Any more ideas?

KittyKatt

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 09:54:44 »
How long has the blackberry been planted? I have found that sometimes plants can take a year or two to settle. Otherwise, I have 2 possible suggestions. Its possible that all the recent rain has caused the fruits to swell up a lot, so they are big and juicy, but the blackberry flavour has got so diluted that they are tasteless and watery. Or it could just be that unfortunately the variety isn't a very good tasting one in the first place. I would be inclined to leave the plant in place for another year at least, to see what the crop is like under drier sunny conditions. You never know, when (if!) we get a hot dry summer, you may well be very pleasantly surprised by the taste! In the meantime, could you make jam or bramble jelly or even a blackberyy and apple crumble or coulis perhaps with this year's crop? Although they don't taste of anything fresh, all the boiling and cooking does tend to concentrate the flavours, so you would still have something to enjoy.
Kitty Katt

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 11:21:17 »
Could they be over-ripe? They lose their flavour when they go over.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal