Author Topic: Poorly Chicken!  (Read 1665 times)

Smileyk

• Quarter Acre
Poorly Chicken!
« on: August 15, 2009, 21:19:28 »
Mathilda our ex batt is unwell. She's been a little off colour for a week or so but today it was more noticeable. She's sitting a lot and closes her eyes. I did a bit of research and wondered if she was egg bound. I brought her in and her underneath feels quite firm - certainly firmer than my other girls and it could be egg shaped but I'm not really sure (didn't want to press too hard).

I gave her a warm bath which she seemed to enjoy - I didn't expect her to willingly sit down in it! Then I wrapped her in a warm towel and put her in the dog crate. She is drinking and I saw her eat some sweetcorn this morning but if she's eaten any since then I haven't noticed. She did a poo which was watery with some white and some brown bits which looked quite gelatinous (sorry TMI!).

I'm not sure what else to do. I can't really get her to a vet before Monday and to be honest I'm not sure how good they are with chickens anyway!

She does have mites so (so I discovered today when one crawled up my awm!) so I've powdered her (and she lost some in the bath she had anyway! LOL). d**n things sneaked in when we weren't looking as we're good at looking for them and scrubbing the house! The house has been thoroughly cleaned, fried with a flame gun and powdered today! I'm kind of assuming that the mites aren't the issue as her comb is still red (though a bit floppy but it's always floppyish anyway since it got ripped last year). The other chickens are all as lively as ever so the mites aren't an issue for them.

I don't know how well or even if she's laying. One of the 4 does lay pretty soft eggs and I don't think we've ever (maybe once or twice) got 4 eggs in a day. 2 or 3 are the norm - but of course we don't know which chickens they come from and if one is not laying..... There were 3 eggs there this morning which seems pretty normal - so in one respect I'd be surprised if she was egg bound as if she'd laid normally today wouldn't I have had 4 eggs? If so as mentioned before that isn't normal for us.

Edited to add: she's also pecking the toe on her left foot. When I checked her feet the left seemed slightly less responsive than the right (I moved the right toe and she curled it under, when I did that with the left she did not.). I can't see any reason for her to peck it but she keeps doing it.

Any advice, recommendations etc?

Thanks!

Smileyk

• Quarter Acre
Re: Poorly Chicken!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 20:16:43 »
It seems that Mathilda had a tumour.  I suspect she's had it since we got her as an ex batt but it's only now made it's presence felt.  She's gone now but she had a happy life with us and that is the main thing.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 07:25:35 »
Sorry to here that Smiley. At least you were able to notice there was something wrong. It probably  wouldn't have been picked up if she was still a battery hen.

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 10:11:38 »
So sorry, but as you said you gave her a good life....
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 10:16:12 »
So sorry to hear that. I was touched to read your post and what you did for her, you did your best and gave her a good life.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal