Author Topic: What household objects do you recycle?  (Read 2425 times)

pookienoodle

• Half Acre
What household objects do you recycle?
« on: October 26, 2009, 11:50:06 »
my MIL has just brought round a bag of toilet roll inners to use for planting. ;D 
just wondering what things others save and for what use.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Re: What household objects do you recycle?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 12:56:49 »
Well, as starters, an old metal cot frame became an instant pole bean frame. That gives you an idea what my veg. garden looks like!  ;D
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 13:43:03 »
Those 2L lemon aid bottles get used a bit.
Chop bottom off, use as cloch, also put in ground under beans to make a sort of funnel for watering to the roots.
Chop top off, turn top round and insert into base, then put something in to attract the slugs, did orange squash this year, but I think I will try a few hoster leaves, or just slug pellets.
 Finaly, I have somewhere to store my comfrey juice.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 16:55:21 »
large vinegar bottles and (used to get) soap powder large plastic containers
are washed out and feed goes in(we buy ours from our allotment association.).old car mats are used in our shed to stop the floor getting too mucky, old c.d's are used to 'try' to keep birds off, plastic containers from meat are used to put plant pots in to keep the plants watered, probiotic pots are used as cane toppers, as are shampoo bottles, they can be written on in permanent ink so I can find out which beans/squash I planted where, we've used the shelves from old oven to make shelves,plus some from an old bbq, and an ironing board(perforated), these are all strung up on wires in the polytunnel, that's all I can think of, for now  ;D

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 17:08:33 »
Manics - I like the idea of using the shampoo bottles as markers / cane tops - thanks  :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 17:17:55 »
I have a clothes horse used for growing beans up, the old boys loved that one.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 17:35:31 »
forgot, we also have a full bathroom suite, bath is dug in as a pond, toilet and pedestal are planters, mint in the loo and lavender and now strawberries in the pedestal  ;D
this is a bone of contention on some sites  ;D

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 17:41:52 »

manics, all I can say is ...   '' Go girl  ''   fantastic ! ;D
Hertfordshire,   south east England

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 17:47:19 »
Also 15l and 20l water bottles for cloches and then turned over and used for feeders later on in Summer.    ;D ;D ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 17:50:33 »
I've recycled cars to my kids.. Does that count???? ;D ;D ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 17:52:11 »
We get plastic bags put through the letterbox sevral times a week so I use them in the pedal bin. We also use the little plastic bottles for on top of the canes. Old tights to put around the tree stakes. Old metal bread trays for putting on the end of wire frames. A round barbeque grill for the end of cloches and of course all the compostbags and shopping bags get used, the twine around the straw bales is used as lines to mark the rows. Will probably think of some more when I have posted this
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 17:57:38 by shirlton »
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 17:56:44 »
I hang out the tea bags on the washing line and reuse them, don't tell the OH.   :-X      ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 19:33:13 »
As well as many already mentioned, I use the tops from the plastic bottles as pot feet to keep pots off the ground in the winter. And half a 2litre milk bottle as a funnel for filling the loo rolls with compost.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 20:11:12 »
I've recycled cars to my kids.. Does that count???? ;D ;D ;D
Only if they use the as large terrariums.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 22:12:05 »
I also used the probiotic bottles for cane protectors- alternating yellow and pink they looked quite cottage gardenified.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 07:55:04 »
Our complex is currently changing the large fridges, they are waiting to be picked up in the underground parking..so far I have four sets of the bins that sit in the bottoms complete with the glass shelves from above, they are  full of earth and  they make great little salad patches on the patio.

There are 328 units here so I will have to stop sometime, but I am trying to figure out some use for the  racks

XX jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 10:08:22 »
We used unrecyclable wine bottles to make a retaining wall at the end of our terrace and toped it with slabs from an old marble fireplace - http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/Obelixx_be/05%20Garden/?action=view&current=06-05-2Bottlewallfromterrace.jpg   

Possum's old climbing and swing frame became posts to support metal grid up which I grow pumpkins and beans.    Baskets from an old freezer make great organisers for storing plastic pots.   Plastic bottles get used as cloches and, somewhere, I have a pile of old CDs to keep the birds off my fruit.   Old canes are about to be chopped and tied in bundles for insect shelters.   I use old pre-wheelie dustbins and a huge plasterer's bucket to grow a few spuds.
Obxx - Vendée France

pookienoodle

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2009, 14:05:42 »
wow some great ideas here,
I have an old wooden clothes horse and never thought of useing it.
obbelix I love the wall,can you tell me how it was made as I may give this a go for a seating area.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2009, 14:24:40 »
The wall has footings made from rubble, just like the base for the terrace.  We then laid on a dry cement mix to give a level base and pushed a layer of bottles into it, checking levels again.  After that, apart from cobble walls at the end to hold the layers in place, the bottles are just stacked on top of each other with no fixing.

The final layer was covered with a  damp cement mix and then the marble slabs were laid on top at knee height to make a seating wall.   They slope very slightly backwards to allow rain to run off.

The wall has been there for 12 years now and has withstood temps from -30C to +38C.  It hasn't moved or crumbled and just needs an occasional brushing and hosing to remove cobwebs and muck.  Straight, high shouldered bottles work best.
Obxx - Vendée France

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 19:37:18 »
Ice cream tubs, for collecting berrys, collecting kitchen peelings and starting off seedlings.    ;D ;D ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal