Author Topic: Caveat Emptor - & related things.  (Read 1915 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Caveat Emptor - & related things.
« on: October 28, 2009, 17:29:36 »
First - following the advice that Tesco were offering Sirloin Steaks at half price, had a friend buy some for me. Noted that they were charged full price on the bil. Half an hour's phoning later, was told that it was a mistake.
Wonder how many people haven't checked their bill?

Second - you want to be Royalty for a day? I'm a sucker for impressive offers & fell for Donald Russell's on Sirloin Steaks, making them not so outlandishly expensive.  Well - Fortnums had nothing on this! Accompanied by the most extensive & helpful booklets on estimating, cooking etc. Worth having even without the meat!

Now it just rests to see whether I can tell the difference between £7.43 kg & £29.00 kg.

Watch this space.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: Caveat Emptor - & related things.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 18:42:34 »
It's a bit embarrassing if you can't tell the difference  :o :o :o :o :o
The Tuscan Beaneater

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 10:18:25 »
You are too right about these offers in supermarkets and you will notice me as soon as I get my bill, checking it.

I like to 'shop around' and some supermarkets have certain own brand items which are better than others, so stocking up on tins or packets is part of my regular monthy routine. We live vertually equal distance from quite a few so it is no hardship.

Now Asda, if they overcharge (by accident of course) give a £2 voucher when it is pointed out by way of an apology and they are pretty good at making sure that their offers and prices are accurate.

Somerfield always manage to run out of their special offers which start on a Thursday before the week end but leave the sign displaying the offer in place then fill up the shelf area with a similar product. Of course it is always the fault of the shelf filler who was working on an earlier shift when this is pointed out.  Since the sign has never been removed (nor the wrong stock) when I have brought it to the managers attention. I now remove the sign, and place it at the back of the shelf so that fellow shoppers are not misled and say nothing. Actions speak louder than words.

I always check my bill after paying, before leaving any store. It is worth it, that 5 minutes or less making a check can save quite a bit, it certainly has for me in the past. Sadly, I have not caught ASDA out for over a year now in over pricing. So the £2 apology must have kept the manager of each branch on their toes.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 18:49:49 »
My word PH, you are leaning against an open door there. ;D  I've found Tesco and Sainsburys to be very good at refunding when I've gone back.  The only supermarket that wasn't was Morrisons.  The undermanager wasn't prepared to believe me.  I don't shop at Morrisons anymore. ;D

I should have to say we are very well blessed with 'proper' butchers in this area, and don't buy meat from supermarkets, particularly not Tesco.  Their meat is dreadful, tough, inedible.  Rant over.

valmarg

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 18:37:03 »
 A lifetime ago I was a checkout manager for Tesco and we were honestly grateful if a customer told us about wrong pricing,they put lots of checks in place so they wouldn't get it wrong but occasionally did.So always complain :)
sanity is overated

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 18:52:20 »
Just have to disagree there, Valmarg - the half-price Sirloin Steaks were truly excellent.

PS - Got my refund.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 22:16:21 »
Just have to disagree there, Valmarg - the half-price Sirloin Steaks were truly excellent.

Well, its been a few years now since I bought any meat from Tesco, simply because it was so tough.  They may have 'upped their game', but they've lost me as a customer. ;D ;D

valmarg

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 23:08:08 »
special offers tend to start on Wed morning in Sainsbury's and finnish on a Tues night.  So those that shop on a wed/thurs are more likely to find stock of special offers on those days.  Just thought you might like that tip.  In some stores baileys choc being sampled this sat.  Shame I'm allergic.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal