Author Topic: What's the best way to 'recycle' books?  (Read 1588 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
What's the best way to 'recycle' books?
« on: January 30, 2010, 21:44:04 »
I'm having a major clear out here.  I find it really hard to part with any book but things are getting out of hand and some have just got to go.  So far I've got a huge (and growing) pile of both hardback and paperback contemporary fiction books looking for a new home.  They are too heavy to take to the charity shop and too many to list on Freecycle (and the like).  I'd like them to go to a good home or cause.  Any ideas?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: What's the best way to 'recycle' books?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 21:49:44 »
Kenkew is/was on books crossing.  I think the idea is you leave a book in a certain place, post on the website where you left it and someone who wants to read it (or whatever) picks it up.

Our local librarian has heard of this too.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 22:12:20 »
I've heard of that scheme, but can't for the life of me remember what it's called, not what you've said Bean, something else, tho I know the site Ken use to post on..might be worth playing around with words on Google, Georgie? There again, seems as though you've got too many, usually it's for the 1-2 books you read when journeying & want to offload, I think.

Our Charity shops will collect, btw, have you asked? And I think it is worth offering boxes of books on Freecycle, sure they'll go..peeps wot do carboots will be happy to make cash for themselves out of them, if you're happy for that. Boxes from the supermarkets, they always will hold back some stout ones for you if you ask.

All I can think of atm, Lish

It's some years ago now & I don't know if it would still happen, but I offloaded absolutely loads of ours at a local hospital - I was visiting every day so I could take them each time I went.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 22:16:08 »
I remember this,  leave with a message inside it  to pass it on. I have left books in camping areas etc like this.

The official scheme is  http://www.bookcrossing.com

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 22:20:22 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 22:30:59 »
We are moving and had a huge sort out of books,gave them all to Oxfam,they came to collect.

cjb02

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 22:56:58 »
you could try read it swap it.

http://www.readitswapit.co.uk/TheLibrary.aspx

Swap a book with some one else and then get a book in return. May be not what you were thinking but still very good recycling and money saving too.

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 09:15:25 »
I remember this,  leave with a message inside it  to pass it on. I have left books in camping areas etc like this.

The official scheme is  http://www.bookcrossing.com

XX Jeannine

I've found books like this before, so interesting when you look up online to see where they've been!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 11:09:14 »
Why not ring round local charities or schools to see if they have got spring fairs coming up,in which case they might collect. But I would think freecycle would be easiest, bags or boxes of books often appear on my local site, and you can choose who takes them.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 12:03:58 »
Over the years I have found pressed flowers in books.I have wondered what the story is behind the flower and why was it preserved .

I also feel a bit sad when you see the loving messages that people have written when they have given the book to someone.

My OH always puts a message in books he has given to me and I can not part with those.

I recently parted with over 40 gardening books that when I come to sort them out I realised they were all just repeating each other.A lot easier now to see info I want quickly,I hope  :)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 20:17:20 »
Thanks for all the replies.  Given the number of books I've got I need the easy option so I think freegle (I've given up on freecycle) it is.  Our local freegle group has a number of charities participating so hopefully one of them will be able to make good use of my cast offs.   :)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 10:00:40 »
Sorry a bit late with this but how about

http://www.greenmetropolis.com/index.asp

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 10:30:45 »
I Love the idea of recycling books by leaving them in cafes on park benches and unusual places for other people to pick up and enjoy - and then to pass on themselves when they have read it!  Only slight problem I can imagine is if there are some yobby types who just destroy the books and throw them around and litter the area - but Hey ho!  I still think it is a good idea!

Old Bird

;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal