Author Topic: pick off strawberry flowers 1st year??  (Read 2886 times)

trickydiggy

• Not So New ...
pick off strawberry flowers 1st year??
« on: March 18, 2010, 20:28:04 »
Hi all,

My sister reckons I should pick off the flowers from the small strawberry plants I was given by a fellow allotment holder, so that next year they'll fruit better.

Is this normal practice?...if so my wife and daughter will be unhappy, as they're looking forward to home picked strawberries this year....perhaps I could compromise and do  half??

Thanks,

TD

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: pick off strawberry flowers 1st year??
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 20:50:22 »
For the home grower it makes no odds. Once upon a time some commercial growers did this, but they don't bother these days.  Grow, eat, enjoy!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 22:14:33 »
Deppends on the variety I guess... modern ones (like the Florians I've got just germinated in the GH) are meant to be fine fruiting the first year, some older ones aren't

chrisc

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 22:52:50 »
I couldn't.  I just couldn't ;D.  I think that advice is probably for growing for showbench, not particularly for eating.

The thought of going a whole year for nothing :'( :'( :o

Thin out, by all means if there are a lot of flowers, but cut them all off.  No.  I just couldnt. ;D

valmarg

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 05:02:18 »
Grow lots of strawberries here, hundreds of pounds each year, have done for years, and have never felt the need to pick off flowers the first year, don't know anyone else that does it either!
Keep them well watered the first summer, give them plenty of muck in the autumn and they'll be fine.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 15:49:07 »
Yes I confess that I did not do this, and my strawberries gave much more fruit in the second year, as they normally would. I mean, this doesn't happen to wild strawberries so why would we do it to our plants???
True the first year the harvest is generally not the best one you will get but I still got plenty of fruit my first year, take that harvest and for the second year you will increase it by at least 20%.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

trickydiggy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 21:00:36 »
thank you very much for your comforting advice!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 21:14:19 »
Just planted some strawberries, great to hear I can have some the first year.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal