Author Topic: Tell us how your swaps are doing  (Read 3108 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Tell us how your swaps are doing
« on: April 18, 2010, 22:05:51 »
We all love swapping stuff here and most of us say thanks and then that's it (in the main).  So I wondered if there was any milage in starting a thread to report on progress?

I'll start, reporting back on something I haven't mentioned via the forum, a PM, chat or email.  Manics, the Aquilegia 'Chrysanthemum Yellow' seeds you sent me have made it through the winter and I have some nice sturdy little plants which I'm about to transplant into the border.  I have high hopes.  :)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
Re: Tell us how your swaps are doing
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 22:48:34 »
I think this is a very good idea. Lots of the seeds I have had in swops are and continue to be succesful due to a bit of seed saving - esp tomatoes and beans.

But the best plant I had was a cutting of greek basil from Thifasmum. It grows very quickly and lovely to cook with as quite strong. I have taken many cuttings and given away plants to others as well.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 23:52:21 »
Swapped some dragon arum with Ace several years ago, for a form of Vinca minor, it's variegated ( can't recall the full name) and is said not to grow so madly as Vinca major.
Well, it's done just what I hoped for - it hasn't spread madly, and it's much more interesting with the variegated leaf.
Unfortunately, am still digging out pieces of the Vinca major  ::)

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 10:26:56 »
I took part in a bean and tommie swap a couple of years ago I love my seed collection and it is nice that other people are a part of it.
Also a great way of finding out about different seed companies.

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 10:51:52 »
I had a swap with 'Georgie' last September and received some hybrid aquilegia seeds - sowed some immediately and now have three very healthy and strong growing plants.   So - many thanks again, Georgie

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 10:52:18 »
Lovely... ;D I haven't had no problems..and everybody seem to be generous with they parcels...there is always some extras slipped in.. ;D

Dirty Digger

• Quarter Acre
  • South Devon. Got a small patch and some pots.
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 11:16:24 »
i've grown too many Calendula and sprouts and would dearly love to swap them for something different but have had no askers whatsoever.

I would really like some good tea herbs as well as some Echinacea but anything will be taken into consideration.

Unfortunately, none of it is any good for cuttings and although I could remove the majority of the soil they've been grown in for lighter posting, I'd rather not, so would prefer to swap with someone locally. Lincoln UK.

If not, i'll have a glut of sprouts and Calendula lotion on offer at the end of the year.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 11:18:42 »
..and Jayb...ulluco and yacon are growing well..each one has sprouted and have 1" growth on them already!...cheers!
..as for seed swaps..those that I have been able to sow have had good germination ..rest it still to see... ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 13:50:18 »
glad about that, Georgie..I have lots of honesty plants, grown over the worst winter I can remember in the unheated polytunnel..they're really healthy  ;D

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 21:22:18 »
some of ruud's tomato seeds are on their 2nd year of saving ! and now growing strongly
You couldn't make it up!

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 22:08:03 »
That is good to hear tony. ;D ;D

no-lottie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 04:18:00 »
What if out of the blue someone asks you to swap seeds to another country - would you?  8)

I'm growing Chillies and Peppers which I recently swapped and they're doing well.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 04:21:01 by no-lottie »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 12:45:40 »
Definitely! I've had swaps from the States repeatedly, and done well with them. I can't refuse to send seed back now, can I?

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 13:00:10 »
Things have gone well until the last swap I did - to my total embarrassment I forgot to put the stamps on the envelopes when I shoved them in the post box.  worst was as I was doing so, I kept thinking there was something wrong with the envelopes.  Oh am I mortified.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 13:00:34 »
I got request for swap from Australia...and out of the blue too ;)...all went well and I got generous packet of seed for return.....and those sown are doing fine...
Thanks no-lottie... ;)

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 20:08:45 »
Lavender cuttings and McK aquilegia seeds produced lovely plants and still going strong - courtesy of Georgie.
Triamble squash did so well too, thank you Jeannine.
Lots of chilli pepper seeds from Barnowl likewise.
A prizewinning pumpkin from seeds sent by Cefer down in Australia together with lovely Swan River Daisies, 4 o'clocks which all performed. Brittlewax beans, Rockmelon and Crystal Apple cucumber seeds only just sown.
Early Polefast tomato seed from GrannieAnnie doing well.
Angel's fishing rods from valmarge - stubborn - but on their way now after sulking in the pots this winter  ;)
Raddachio from rhubarbthrasher did so well there's still one up at the plot with its purple veined leaves
Giant radish from Jeannine and Lishka went down well - but sadly only me that eats it now.
Just sown pansies from pigeonseed and will be doing Cherokee Trail of Tears beans from Duke Ellington shortly.
I had a couple of failures but probably totally down to my growing technique with Monkey Puzzle seed from Cosmos and Dibs and Washington/Drago seed from, I think, MickW but thank you for letting me try.
I'm sure there's some I've forgotten or maybe before I started recording who sent me what, but I always say a "thank you"  :) to those that trust me/have trusted me with their seeds since 2005.

What a lucky lady.

Ninny

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 20:37:39 »
My Aloe 'baby' from Ninny has taken over my kitchen but I reckon the Gerbera 'seeds' she sent me were an early April Fool joke.   ;)

I loved the purple Chilli seeds sent by Sparkly last year (at least I think it was Sparkly) and I'm growing them again this year.  But on the otherhand Chilli Pretty in Purple from Portsmouth30 failed to germinate.

I'm yet to try the Ipomoea from Saddad and the Calendula from Flighty but I'll be sure to report back.

Sorry, there are others but I can't recall them right now.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 20:46:52 »
Just divided my aloe again Georgie - would you like another one?  ;D

I must admit the gerbera seed I sowed looked all fluff too, tried another lot today!

Ninny

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 14:10:04 »
I have sent out and been sent lots of swaps what with only having a garden and too much seed in a normal packet,
some of the most succesfull things i have swapped have been willow whips for my birds, and someone sent me save rainbow chilli seeds and they are the most beautiful plants when the chillies have grown, i always try to say thank you and im sure on most occasions i have too great idea to let other people know how the swaps have gone, some of my most unusual tomatoes have come from Jeannine and the family have loved them  ;D
thanks again to all

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 16:15:29 »
I am enjoying the Dorset Naga's from Digeroo's seed swap - they are picking up quite nicely and look quite different to the rest of my chillis so thanks to the kind person who added them to the swap!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal