Author Topic: Remembering Mum, Dad and Gran  (Read 690 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Remembering Mum, Dad and Gran
« on: May 01, 2010, 19:23:51 »
Just cooking dinner, made a blackberry and apple pie and whilst peeling the Brambley apples remember as a child being amazed that Mum could peel the whole apple without breaking the peel/skin.  I am now 66 and I can do it, wish I could tell her. Remembered Dad saying to use cold water on a sponge to clean the flour, pastry from the work surface as it is easier, so did that.  Also remember him chopping up the fresh mint very fine and adding hot water to brew, then sugar and vinegar (I suppose).  Then as washing up remembered Gran saying after you have washed up, turn over the washing up bowl and wash the bottom.  Don't have a bowl, only two stainless steel sinks, but think of that every time I wash up.  Well hopefully dinner ready now, happy memories.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Remembering Mum, Dad and Gran
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 19:35:39 »
Lovely memories, sadly I don't remember having a gran.. just go ahead and tell Mum about the apple,

Thank you for sharing that,

XX Jeanine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 19:36:56 »
My dad could peel an apple in one like that! He could also cut a loaf into wafer thin slices!  :)
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 20:00:02 »
remember my mum showing me how to peel an apple like that  ;D
I remember sitting next to the range while the fire was lit when we moved into a house when I was 8, my mum and dad had it ripped out and replaced with a gas fire  :o
I remember coming in from school and mum being there having baked and cooked all day, big bowl of ox tail soup and home made bread , wonderful  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 20:06:00 »
I remember Mum taking a hot stone out of an oven next to the fire and wrapping it in a blanket for my bed. I remember my Dad cutting an orange in half then holding it a triangle shape between his fingers, he would suck all the juice out before eating what was left. Oh and I remember my Dad who couldn't really cook used to make Sunday breakfast sometimes, he always had the gas too high so the eggs got crispy on the bottom while the yolks were still soft.. John does the same thing and I call them Dad's eggs.

Mum used to say" come on you can have 5 minutes"  oh how I wish I could crwal on her knee now !! Sniff

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 20:08:01 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal