Author Topic: composting  (Read 1447 times)

dewisfamily

• Not So New ...
composting
« on: May 09, 2010, 11:17:35 »
when composting weeds and other things on my allotment is there anything i should not put in my compost bin ?

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
Re: composting
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 12:10:28 »
Hello

What to compost - depends who you ask!

As a general rule, avoid meat & diary products.  Some say avoid cooked food in general as it attracts vermin, but my experience is that they are just as happy with a raw, veggie diet!

With regard to weeds, I don't put in hard to shift stuff like bindweed and horsetail.  Others will leave it out the dry/drown in a bucket of water then add to the bin - the choice is yours.

The more you can chop up whatever you add to the bin, the quicker it will break down.

Enjoy

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 13:16:04 »
Make sure the weeds don't have seeds!

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 14:13:33 »
In theory if your compose heap gets hot enough - so lots of air and not too wet or dry - weed seeds will be killed, though it doesn't work for me.

I throw everything on my heap, couch and bindweed included, but I make a good effort to shake all the soil off, and I usually leave it to bake in the sun for a bit before it goes on the heap.

The only thing that doesn't go on is rotten onions because that just spreads the problem.

I do have a bit of trouble with fat hen seeds remaining viabale, but they're easy to weed out by hand.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 15:28:09 »

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 20:23:37 »
Talking weeds only, I wouldn't put in Couch grass, Dandlions, Marestail and Bindweed, my bins are in a Sunny area and we get more Sun than most but still don't get hot enough to kill these weeds, I also don't put in spud peelings.
    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

GlentoranMark

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 11:35:12 »
Talking weeds only, I wouldn't put in Couch grass, Dandlions, Marestail and Bindweed, my bins are in a Sunny area and we get more Sun than most but still don't get hot enough to kill these weeds, I also don't put in spud peelings.
    ;D ;D ;D

Now you tell me, I've a compost bin full of baby potatoes  :'(

I've built a couple of worm bins, I now feed everything to the worms. Flies/ maggots love it but the compost and liquid is far better and quicker to produce than a regular bin.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 12:07:53 »
I do put my spud peelings in but there are peelings & peelings.

We use a peeler rather than a knife to peel our potatoes meaning we damage the eye (the growth source) when we peel so we have no problem with potatoes growing.

Whereas with a knife; the peeling is invariably thicker and the eye is not damaged so there is the potential for re-growth!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 13:32:33 »
This is a good site from the environmental agency:

http://www.recyclenow.com/home_composting/index.html
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal