Author Topic: marrow or pumpkin  (Read 3577 times)

kymrob

• Half Acre
marrow or pumpkin
« on: July 11, 2010, 16:16:06 »
was given some pumpkin plants ( i think) but they look like marrow is there a way to tell? ;D

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: marrow or pumpkin
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 16:47:08 »
There have been several threads like this recently (including one from me). I think the concensus is it's pretty hard to tell until they flower, but marrows fruit earlier than pumpkins so you shouldn't have to wait too long if it is a marrow (courgette if you pick when small).

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 18:39:41 »
The plants can be identified but only definately when they have produced a flower, the shape of the stem etc all contribute to the identification. However in the beginning you can watch the plant as it grows, it will be either a bush type or a vining type, once that has been identified it may be fairly easy to guess what yours is. If it is a courgette/marrow it will be a bush type  if it grows into vine and starts to grow long it will not be a courgette/marrow, it may then be a pumpkin but it also may be some type of winter squash that vines too.

How big is your plant now?

I can help you further if you give me some more info.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

kymrob

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 19:01:53 »
the whole plant is a couple feet tall and same wide it has loads of flowers at different stages i am hoping its marrow as i have not eaten that since i was a child!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 19:16:25 »
If it is showing no signs of growing a vine, it may well be a courgette/marrow.  Were the female  flowers are can you see the unfertilised fruit yet?

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

kymrob

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 19:22:16 »
Jeannine   i will have good look tomorrow! ;D thanks for help

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal