Author Topic: Newbie would be chicken keeper - advice welcome  (Read 1575 times)

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
Newbie would be chicken keeper - advice welcome
« on: July 17, 2010, 11:37:43 »
Crikey it's been ages since I visited this site, forgot how much I enjoyed it - hi to everybody!

Right, well, I now have my new lottie, it's about a quarter cultivated, I have a band of helpers since I'm still not up to full strength and I now have the opportunity to finally fulfil the dream of keeping some chooks.

I've been very lucky in that I have been gifted an 8ft x 6ft shed which I plan to use to house them in, what I need to get some advice on is the space in the run (height wise it will be 6ft).  We're looking at 6 ex-battery hens to start with (I have read extensively on this subject!), possibly going up to 10 birds in total.  Obviously any space for these poor creatures is a bonus but what would be the minimum do you think.  I've trawled the net, but advice is conflicting, so I thought I'd ask those who are already doing the same!
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Newbie would be chicken keeper - advice welcome
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 17:25:50 »
Hiya, posie  ;D
when we got our 18 ex batts, we were told by the rescue people it's the size of the shed that's so important, our shed was 7x5 and we could have 18  :o
the run is 44x22' with a roof on half and just mesh on the rest, we're down to 5 now, after 2 years and are not getting any more, not enough 'communal' to look after them any more and our plot's too small to keep any on, Hope you enjoy yours as much as we did  :)

irnhed

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 17:36:48 »
The rule of thumb that I've read elsewhere, is a square foot inside a coop for each bird, and a square metre in an outside run.

If you pace it out, it looks kinda small, so you may want to add some more.

Currently, I have 4 birds in a run 3m by 2m, so 6 square metres, which I think is enough.  There is also a water container and a feed container in with them.

They do also get regular time running around in the garden, so they're not cooped up in there all of the time - but they could be without a problem.

Inside the coop, the important bit is how long the perch is.  Mine is about 1m long, or so, which allows all four to perch happily together.  I've had fewer bird in the same space, and they all just cwtch up together anyway.
I'd rather be digging my plot

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 22:05:48 »
Thanks for the replies, that's made it a bit easier to plan.  I think we may start off with a 9 metre square run with a view to building on if we need to.  Thanks for the tip re the perch.  Can't wait to get the ladies!
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal