Author Topic: Beanaholics!!!!!!  (Read 4883 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Beanaholics!!!!!!
« on: July 18, 2010, 13:53:24 »
Please does anyone have a few Cherokee Trail of Tears bean to spare. The label say C  T of T but they are dwarf beans. I've got lots I can swap. Now there's a surprise ;) ;) ;).

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Beanaholics!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 17:30:39 »
I do sweetie, as many as you like and they are climbing pole beans.I will send them I still have your address, will get them in the mail tomorrow XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 17:41:23 »
Thank you so much. I think it is such a wonderful though sad story behind them.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 17:55:53 »
Yes, I have the book and a childs version too, I read it over periodically, there was a movie on the tv a few weeks ago about it but no direct mention of the beans, they did show corn though. I did have some of the corn and the original named squash but I would have to look back in my journals to find the exact names.  Project for later today maybe XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 12:37:25 »
Are you sure they are dwarf and not just slow to climb up the pole?  My Ch T o T's are not up the pole yet, but definitely a climbing French Bean, just not as early as some.

There is a white seeded version, a stable mutation that happened a few years ago, if you are interested in seed, please pm me.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 18:25:40 »
Hi Galina. There is no sign of a climbing shoot. I noticed them on my daughters plot last week so checked on ours yesterday & they are the same. At daughters I just planted spare runners next to them & will do the same at ours tomorrow. I hope you are right & they are slow to take off ;). They were the black seeded ones.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 03:02:12 »
I haven't posted yet, do you want me to hold off? XX Jeannine

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 08:06:57 »
Hi grannyjanny just to let you know that some of my cherokee trail of tears are romping up their pole and some of them are just siting there at the base, thinking about it and still producing beans........as i keep saying this is one weired growing year this year.

I have to say, if i was you i would take up jeannine on her kind offer just in case as although my "lazy beans" are producing beans and flowers it is not as much as the beans that are racing up their poles.

Kxx  :)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 08:16:17 »
Oh bugger I've just messaged her following her message as I have taken up Galina on her kind offer of the white strain. There is just no sign of a tendril at all, is that how yours look LL?

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 21:49:02 »
Sorry GrannyJ, missed this, would be happy to offer but I see you have already two super offers, also I'm afraid I can't match a white strain  :)
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 06:18:28 »
The offer is still open XX Jeannine

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 07:56:30 »
Oh bugger I've just messaged her following her message as I have taken up Galina on her kind offer of the white strain. There is just no sign of a tendril at all, is that how yours look LL?

Yep, not sure why that is....baffled really

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 09:13:23 »
Will I OK to sow for a late crop now? If so please can I take up Jayb's kind offer as they will probably get to me a bit quicker than Jeannines other kind offer. It would be good to compare the 2 different seeds.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 10:14:44 »
Gj I am sure you can still grow beans if you plant now, I know I have seen it on here, Tim I think.  I am just about to sow mine as I am all behind here, in fact it has just stopped raining so I will go and do it now.  :)

And I have a big jar full of C of T beans if you want some!  Just pm me :)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 06:21:45 »
Posted yesterday  :)
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 06:59:04 »
Thank you so much :).

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 22:16:06 »
Thank you so much :).

And I hope they will do well for you.  My black ones and white ones are well up the pole by now, so whatever you have must have been a mix-up. 

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 23:06:35 »
We have plenty too... I wouldn't try a second sowing now as they have quite a long season... even dwarf are pushing it to get a crop most years by October here in the Midlands...  :-\

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 23:53:07 »
Do Cherokee TOT have a green round/pencil pod with a sort of dusting of purple along the string edge and the ends?... if so then I think I've worked out what a mystery bean is on my plot... I know I planted CTOT but too many labels have been swamped and it's a struggle to work out what's what.... easy to work out where one starts and another ends in the mixed rows aand some of them are so distinctive I oculdn't mistake them now (Manitoba Purple Mennonite Stripe really doesn't look like anything else, neither does Lima for instance), but I have several that are rather anonymous and the CTOT is definitely one of those....

chrisc

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 08:27:11 »
Do Cherokee TOT have a green round/pencil pod with a sort of dusting of purple along the string edge and the ends?... if so then I think I've worked out what a mystery bean is on my plot... I know I planted CTOT but too many labels have been swamped and it's a struggle to work out what's what.... easy to work out where one starts and another ends in the mixed rows aand some of them are so distinctive I oculdn't mistake them now (Manitoba Purple Mennonite Stripe really doesn't look like anything else, neither does Lima for instance), but I have several that are rather anonymous and the CTOT is definitely one of those....

chrisc

Hi Chris, mine look like your description, so i think you are onto a winner. I am also growing lots of different types of beans and sometimes the labels magically disappear so i am frantically trying to work out which are which. I need to be able to get hold of decent labels that you can attach to the growing vines, not the ones that you place at the base of the plants.

Kxx

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal